Avocado Tree Losing Leaves

My tree is 15 feet high. I planted him from a seed. He had for the first time after 6 years 40 avocados, 2nd time 70, 3d time 90. This year I don't know yet, but he loses a lot of brown leafs. Did I water him too much? Please let me know what I have to do. Thanks.

By Ruth S.

My tree was grown from a seed (in San Diego County) 40+ years ago. It used to have hundreds of avocados, but drought and too many trees in the vicinity kept production low. Several surrounding trees were removed--roots and all--and we had more rain last year, so this year we had hundreds of avocados for the first time in years. Also, it drops all old leaves in the Spring while it blooms and adds beautiful new leaves. I use avocado and citrus food at least once each year.