Share Crafts

Marigold Flower Tips

Could someone give me Marigold Tips? I really like them, they remind me fall mums but I have know luck with mums. If I plant now, how long will it take them to bloom? Any tips?

Autumn from Missouri

I really like them too. They are wonderfully frost hardy well into fall, and they make great companion plants in the vegetable garden. Unfortunately, it's a bit late to think about planting marigold seedlings outdoors, but if you can tolerate their rather strong fragrance, you could always try to grow some indoors. You'll probably need to grow them under almost constant light using fluorescent lights to get them to bloom, but if you have the space, growing annuals indoors is always an interesting experiment, and when it works it's a fun way to bring some color indoors in the winter. There are three main type of marigold: African, French and Triploid. African cultivars usually require 2 weeks longer to reach a flowering stage than the French and Triploid varieties-usually around 11-12 weeks. French cultivars are a bit faster at 7 to 9 weeks and Triploids a bit faster yet at 7 to 8 weeks. When spring rolls around again, sow seeds directly in the ground and cover them with about 1/4 inch of soil. Water thoroughly. Thin seedlings to 8-18 inches apart after they sprout. Marigolds can also be started early indoors for transplanting outdoors about six to eight weeks before the last frost date.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Sharon 4 66 09/09/2006

This is my favorite!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sharon 4 66 09/09/2006

Will try one more time, to get to post.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 09/11/2006

I live in northern Arkansas, and it had been my experience that marigolds are summer flowers best planted in the spring. Although they are fall colors, I don't know if they'd grow enough to flower this time of year. On the other hand, if you plant in the spring/summer, they usually live through the fall as long as they get enough water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 09/11/2006

Thanks Susan I have planted some, going to give a try....will let you no.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By kddid (Guest Post) 09/11/2006

In the spring, you can buy seed in a package OR, cheat like I do and buy them already to plant. I buy mine at Wal-Mart because they are usually cheaper there. Make sure you buy the little double flowers, besure to fertilize or use the potting soil that has food in the soil. They will bloom until late fall. kddid

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jackolyn Smith 17 134 09/11/2006

Hi Autumn, Marigolds are my favorite and I've been planting them for years. I've only bought them once! When you plant them in the spring, dead-head the flowers. Take the flowers that look like they're dead and put them into a brown paper lunch bag. I do this all summer. When you dead-head the flowers, the plant will bush out and spread a lot. Then when spring rolls around again, I just take the dead flowers that I've saved over the winter (this is where the seeds are), and sprinkle the seeds on the ground where I want to plant the marigolds again. They come up in no time. These are great plants for keeping the mosquitos away too. They don't like the smell of them. Hope you try this next spring. You won't be disappointed!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lynda (Guest Post) 09/18/2006

Only the French Marigolds repel insects, it has been my experience. Also, they need plenty of time to root, leaf out and blossom. I believe it might be way too late to plant them. Perhaps you are thinking about tiny Chrysanthamum? It is what you see blooming all over the city during the Fall but which
lose blooms after only a month, dying back with the first frost, hardly worth the effort for me and my friends EVEN IF SOMEONE GAVE US A PLANT. It repels
nothing, is subject to mildew/wilt and requires more
care than I care to give a plant. lol Hope you can
make a decision, otherwise plan to plant French Marigolds after last frost in the Spring from seed, or
from a few cheap 2" pots where you can double-check the two tones which characterize the French ones, usually dark edged golden colors, and not too large ever. God bless you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No