Homemade Leather Furniture Cleaner

I FINALLY got a new sofa and its leather. With 4 kids I hope I will be glad that we got leather. I need suggestions on how to care for and clean the sofa. I like to clean my home using baking soda, vinegar, and lemon juice so I would rather not use the leather cleaners that are on the market if possible. Thanks.

Do you have a recipe for homemade leather furniture cleaner? The item is a sofa. It has an smell to it that is not offensive but maybe just old and used. I would like to clean and condition the sofa using ordinary products, not a leather cleaning kit for $80. Thanks for your help.

Shirley from Leesburg, VA

Answers:

RE: Homemade Leather Furniture Cleaner

Absolutely the best product on the market for most leather furniture is at this link NO BULL!

And it is NOT $80 You can get an 8 oz bottle of the cleaner and an 8 oz bottle of the high quality treatment for a combined total of $24.95 MUST SEE

http://www.mobileleatherservice.com/NOBULL.html (03/15/2007)

By MR. Leather Helper

Thanks for the info but my concern is not saving money on the cleaners. I just really worry about exposing my family to unnecessary chemicals. I'll check out the website you listed to read about their products.

Homemade cleaners for leather can sometimes ruin leather. Go to an Auto Store. They have leather cleaners and conditions for leather car seats at reasonable prices. Be sure it for leather and not vinyl. They should work on furniture as well.

So much hype and paranoia posted here!

Leather is wonderful and I have several chairs and a couch that I have cleaned for over 20+ years with a simple solution of ......

1 tablespoon Murphy's oil soap diluted with 1 qt water.

Nothing magical or expensive. But it does the job without drying out the leather or costing you buko bucks$$

AND yes they all survived kids, popcorn movie nights, animals and pretty much anything else a family can dish out.

The premade stuff is outrageously expensive and not any better.

We have used a bar of ivory soap & water. Any cleaning you do on leather will eventually take away the top layer. Leather is supposed to be "worn" - that's different than dirty, obviously.