ColoringHair Tips

Coloring Your Own Hair

Category Coloring

Now that I've gotten, um... "older", my hair, which used to be an awful mousey brown color has turned a silvery blonde color. I remember that all my aunts on my mom's side had hair this color. It must be our Swedish/Danish heritage. My aunts used to refer to it as Nordic Blonde.

Anyway, lately it has been making me look washed out. I can't afford to have it constantly colored by a professional, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing it myself. All I want to do is just put a little strawberry blonde color in it.

About 5 years ago, Aussie brand had a shampoo that if used every day would gradually give your hair a little bit of strawberry red color, I used it all the time and loved it. However, they took it off the market. There are shampoos out there for red hair and brunette hair, but they are only to enhance the color you already have, they won't give your hair that color.

Thank you for any advice,
Louise

I use Hydrience hair color on my hair. I, too am getting older and I have more gray in my hair than my mother did at my age. The Hydrience makes your hair soft and silky feeling. I color mine about every 8 weeks or so. Try it, I think you'll like it, and it's only about $7, much cheaper than a salon dye job!

what about purchasing one at home coloring kit and diluting it with a full bottle of your regular shampoo so you get a little bit of color each time you shampoo?

there's two new products out that sound similar to the aussie product

one is pantene and the other is by john frieda(called color keep)

they come in shampoos and conditionerone for blondes and one for redheads

the red works fairly well/haven't tried the blonde

I have been dyeing my hair for some time now. I hate the soft, bodyless, flippy-floppy feeling my hair gets right after dyeing it. The best product I have tried that does not produce this result is the organic color you can get at the health food stores (green box, called Nutricolor or something like that). These dyes do not contain ammonia and my hair has much more body after using them. They do contain peroxide (no hair color will last long without it.) I feel better, however, that at least one major toxic ingredient (ammonia) has been removed. Good luck!

Have you tried a color rinse? My mom used it all the time to keep her dyed color looking good.

I colour my hair, with permanent hair colour, but i use id differently than instructed, i got short hair, so i use 1/4 hair colour 1/4 hydrogen peroxide and double amount of shampoo and mix this in small bowl .... then i shampoo my hair with it ....wait 10 15 to 30 minutes depending how dark you want it... then rinse it off in shower,....then that makes may hair colour act as semipermenant tint, and i have 3 more use of it, and it gradually washes out....without leaving roots , i choose dark auburn, and i do have a good start of grey hair comming in.... it has work wounders for me....i guess you would call this mixture cocktail for the hair....been doing it for severay years

Try using John Frieda - sheer blonde - Shampoo & Conditioner sold at Wal Mart . Think it cost about $5.49 per 8.45 oz. tube. Comes in several colors. Cheaper

then paying over $60.00 for coloring at beauty salon.

You might want to look into henna. I have never used it, but some friends do. It's some natural dye that is semi-permanent. I get the idea that it's safe and inexpensive. And it should give you some red highlights.

I have been using Revlon Color Silk, Strawberry Blonde for several years, I am 66, and have a lot of white hair. I usually recolor every 6 weeks, a box is around $3.00. It works best for me and my hair is course and keeps it manageable.

Here are a couple of products you might try:

1.) Borne Blonde- semi permanent but with no peroxide (for darker shades, try Loving Care.) Apply and leave in around 20 mins.

2.) Fanci-Full Rinse (in a grey bottle; apply to hair while still damp, leave in.)

With the right color choice, either one of these could give you the reddish caste you're looking for without using permanent/peroxide color. Both can be found at Sally Beauty or other beauty supply stores. I have also found FanciFull Rinse at Walmart and some drug stores.

I colored my hair last night and I don't like the color how long do I have to wait to color it again?

Once you mix developer and color, you have to use it right away or the bottle will explode. Trust me. It says so on the box. Last week I left the half used container on the bathroom counter by accident and three hours later it had burst and i had foamy bleach all over the place. If you are gonna use only half the container, mix the developer and color in a container other than the one provided in the box.

don't know what you used that exploded but i've left mixed bottles overnight and never had that happen

I have a question on the proper way to mix the developer and hair dye. What are the right amounts to mix. because i have both, but i dont know how much dye to how much developer. help pleasE!

I've used a number of semi-permants over the years and now am using L'Oreal ColorSpa Moisture Actif Hair Color - #42 Palomino. Comes in a blue box. No ammonia and semi-permanent, which is the only way to go. There's no root line growing in and I usually go about 8 weeks. As you shampoo the color disperses around and gives a mix of hair color strands in your hair plus no new growth root line. If I go too long the grey starts to predominate but there's still not a root line. Only negative is that is does fade and becomes quite light after exposure to the sun. But that adds to the mixture of hair color strands. Buy at W'mart for 7 or so dollars.

I always color my own hair. I was experimenting this time by doing it a dark brown underneath (my hair is naturally a dark blonde) Anyways, I couldn't see it all very well and didnt want to get the dye on the top part of my hair. I ended up missing some parts, and it's kinda obvious when my hair is half up. Can I use the color I mixed last night in my hair today? It didn't explode or anything? I dont want to buy a whole other box for a touch up.