How Do I Lighten My Hair Without the Sun?

By Megan 5

How do I lighten blonde hair without the sun? I live in Wisconsin and winter is coming up. I can't really be outside for a long time without a hat. I have naturally light blonde hair and as I get older it starts getting darker. I wanted to know if I can do anything, but dye my hair to lighten it without using the sun. Would hydrogen peroxide work without the sun? I've done it with the sun and it worked really well, but what about without the sun? Also I know it's damaging you don't have to tell me twice. Thanks so much.

By Megan

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

http://www.ehow.com/how_4430800_bleach-hair-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Note:

Don't overdue it with the hydrogen peroxide, you don't want hair breakage. If it isn't light enough to your satisfaction wait one week and repeat. In this way you will give your hair a rest between chemical treatments.

MCW

Licensed Cosmetologist

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jess 132 772 Flag

I have the same problem. I was very blonde as a child and it has gotten steadily darker over the years. Over the years, I have tried everything from full on blonde dye (don't do it, takes forever to grow out) to nothing at all. I actually got a compliment on my 100% natural hair, someone asked me what color it was :) But I really like to have it lighter, especially now that I'm getting more gray.

The best solution for me is to go and have a professional add highlights (streaks) of blonde to your hair. I go in every 4 months or so (usually before an event). She switches between partial and full highlight, depending on how it has grown out. It does get pricey but I have seen walk in salons offer deals or you might check out your local beauty school.

If you don't want to go a chemical route, there are some shampoos and treatments that will gently brighten and lighten your hair. I think there is a good one for bringing out blonde highlights by Aveda. I haven't seen many people express good luck with home peroxide or lemon juice. It seems to be unpredictable and very damaging to your hair.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

As a retired hairstylist after 35 years, here is my favorite little secret tip for a natural sun kissed lightening for your hair. This formula safely lightens gradually and it will not be an overnight shock change and once you reach your desired level you just stop doing it for awhile. Simply spray a 50/50 solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide (the kind in the brown bottle you buy at the pharmacy or market) on your wet hair after getting out of the shower, comb it through, and dry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringOctober 26, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Woman with lightened hair on her arms.
Making Your Arm Hair Lighter
Lemon Juice
Lightening Hair With Lemon Juice
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:25:50 PM on 10.0.0.140 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings