Share Crafts

Cleaning a Scorched Enamel Coated Cast Iron Pot

I scorched an enamel coated cast iron pot and I can't clean it. Do any of you have suggestions? I hate to throw the pot away.

By Lisa from Darien, GA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By jean leiner 15 397 09/28/2010

Try soaking the pot in hot water and powdered dishwasher detergent, 1 cup detergent to 1 gallon of water if the stains are on the outside of the pot. Let it sit in a dish pan for a couple of days, then scrub. For stains inside the pot, fill pot with water, put in 1/2 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-15 minutes, and then using a spoon or spatula, scrape away the scorched food while the water is still hot. Then drain the pot, and scrub.

This worked for me with two "oopses." One was scorched milk when I was making yogurt, and one was apples and sugar when I was making jelly. The dishwasher detergent from the dollar store works fine for this purpose. Both pans were enamel coated cast iron Creuset Ware brand.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lilac 20 1,332 09/29/2010

Easy Off oven cleaner will take it right off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No