Cleaning a Scorched Enamel Coated Cast Iron Pot

I scorched an enamel coated cast iron pot and I can't clean it. Do any of you have suggestions? I hate to throw the pot away.

By Lisa from Darien, GA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Try soaking the pot in hot water and powdered dishwasher detergent, 1 cup detergent to 1 gallon of water if the stains are on the outside of the pot. Let it sit in a dish pan for a couple of days, then scrub. For stains inside the pot, fill pot with water, put in 1/2 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-15 minutes, and then using a spoon or spatula, scrape away the scorched food while the water is still hot. Then drain the pot, and scrub.

This worked for me with two "oopses." One was scorched milk when I was making yogurt, and one was apples and sugar when I was making jelly. The dishwasher detergent from the dollar store works fine for this purpose. Both pans were enamel coated cast iron Creuset Ware brand.

Easy Off oven cleaner will take it right off.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesSeptember 27, 2010
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Gas Stove Grates
Cleaning Stove Grates
Cast Iron Pan
Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 12:06:44 PM on 10.0.2.209 in 567 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.