Mini Papier-Mache Piñatas for Birthday Parties

Mini Papier-Mache Pinatas are great for birthday parties. Thrifty parents and children will both love this craft idea. They are fun to create and can save a ton, as the store purchased Pinatas can be expensive. As an added bonus, is you can choose the theme and the loot. Think Nemo, Thomas the Train, Barbie, My Little Pony etc.

Materials

• balloons (small in size)
  • craft paint brush
  • latex gloves
  • glue
  • tissue paper, newsprint, origami paper, it's your choice
  • Ad
  • flour/water paste or glue/water
  • ribbon and other items to decorate with
  • string and label for pull string (to break open Pinatas)
  • loot to stuff the pinatas with

Instructions

Blow up balloons to desired size and tear paper into strips. Prepare flour/water paste (I didn't measure, just went by looking at the thickened texture). Paint paste on balloon/paper and apply strips of paper to build layers. Cover balloon in 4 layers of paper to build strength. Leave top of pinata, around lip of balloon open, this allows room to add loot.

Once the pinatas are dry, decorate with balloon in place. Use ribbon, stickers, etc. Deflate balloon when dry by cutting small hole using scissors. Stuff pinatas with loot. Place pull string in place and seal hole with more paper/paste.

You are done!

Hints:

• Wear latex gloves the dyes in the tissue paper will stain your hands.
  • Use hair dryer sparingly, to help dry between layers, too much heat will expand balloon

Source: This great idea was borrowed from the following wonderful website:

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Great project... looks like fun! I love that these would work for many different parties for guests of all ages with only a few changes, very adaptable. Thanks for the post!

Sounds like a heck of an idea to me for saving money! But it does seem to cut back on the fun of being able to smack the pinata while whoever is 'running' it, sends it swinging! I miss those days so badly. I was married to a Hispanic man for almost 10 yrs. and our mixed families were huge! Our birthday parties were some of my favorite memories and also my favorite pictures! But it started getting so expensive, most of us had to stop doing it. It got to where we couldn't even go to Sams Club and buy the candy anymore because their huge bags became a huge investment. So all in all, for a little personal something, these mini pinatas are a cool idea!

This sounds like a wonderful idea. When my son was in Cub scouts there was a bad incident with a Pinata. When swinging at it there is too much excitement and kids got hit instead. Watching Funniest Home Videos shows a lot more of these accidents. This is much safer.

Blue Tissue Paper Sticking out of Green Gift Bag
Crafts Using Tissue Paper
Holidays and Parties Parties DecorationsApril 29, 2008
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
tissue paper flowers at wedding
Making Tissue Paper Flowers
Cleaning mini blinds square
Cleaning Mini Blinds
Paper Mache
Paper Mache Craft Ideas
🎉
🎄