How Do You Freeze Lemons?

Can you freeze lemons?

By Jen from Rio Rancho, NM

I buy lemons by the bag, juice all of them and put a tablespoon of lemon juice in each ice tray slot and freeze. Then I pour the frozen cubes in a zip lock bag and keep them handy in the refrigerator freezer.

During the winter months, I drink hot tea with lemon to keep from having colds. So far, knock on wood, I have not had a cold this season.

I have seen on Thriftyfun that you can also grate the outside peeling and freeze that too. This is a great idea as some recipes call for this.

Juice lemons, pour into an ice cube tray and freeze the lemon juice.

You can slice them or cut in wedges, whichever you prefer, then freeze them on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen solid, transfer to a plastic bag. Best to double bag them.

I just throw them in the freezer. You don't have to do anything with them.

I juice my lemons and put one cup at a time in zip lock bags for lemonade and recipes. If you freeze lemon juice in ice cubes, and then take the cubes and put a number of them in a zip lock bag, you can take out small amounts when you need them.

I also freeze the rinds in a bag. If I need lemon zest, it's easier to grate when the rind is frozen. I also put the flush frozen lemon rinds down my disposal with hot water to fresh my disposal and kitchen. If you freeze your lemons, you'll have them available whenever you want them.

Hugs, Bobbie

Frozen lemon slices on ice.
Freezing Lemons
Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesJanuary 27, 2010
Slices of dried lemon.
Drying Lemons
Meyers lemons in canning jars.
Canning Lemons
A half lemon sitting ontop of a pile of whole lemons.
Storing Lemons
Lemons growing on a tree.
Growing Lemons