Getting a Civil Service Job

I was laid off from my travel agency a year and a half ago and I'm considering a civil service job. Does anyone know the best way to go about training for the test? Or have any really good book titles to consider? Thank you.

Janet C from New York City

Janet, I would go to your states' website and find a telephone number to call. Here in Michigan, I took the civil service test for the clerical field. I didn't study beforehand or read any books. The test included some simple common sense questions and also some spelling where you picked out the mispelled word, and some alphabetizing where you had to pick out which group of words were in the correct alphabetical order. At then end of the test, there was a typing test. Good luck to you and your future endeavors!

Thanks Persnickety Paula

As stated above, go to your state's Civil Service site. There you should find a listing for the many tests they administer and which test is for which type of job. They should also have a page with sample questions. Read each question carefully, as the wording is often misleading if you aren't paying attention. Also look at the job openings list, it tells which test is required. Get a good night's sleep, try to relax. I took 2 different tests and came out of both thinking I failed. On one I scored 96 Percentile, the other 94 percentile. Test at your own pace, don't pay attention to others. Take a deep breath and go for it.

I dont know about your state but here in Ohio there is a whole section of study guides for the civil service tests right in the local library. Good Luck!

The library should have books and you might find sample test of the web site of the county/state you are taking the test for. The entry level jobs you might not need to study for as they are usually easy but if going for somthing higher up I suggest studying. The books at the library will also have sample test and that part is important to look at.

Good luck.

A child playing with a nanny.
Name Ideas for a Nanny Service
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Headstones on Memorial Day
Celebrating Memorial Day
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job