Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

I have a chair that would be very difficult to remove the fabric. The fabric is a sturdy cotton. Is there a way I can brush fabric paint or fabric dye on the material to change the color while it is still on the chair?

Donna from New York, NY

I know that there are painted pieces of upholstered - I know a colleague painted designs on a couch just with fabric paint.

There are such things as COLD dyes that can be gotten at fabric shops. I know the Joann Fabric chain has them. Also, suggestions of using RIT is great. You USE the LIQUID form, not powdered. You can use a qtip to test an underside piece of fabric. The RIT website has directions for crafts, etc there. Also, you can use TEA or BEETS to color, or any other natural dye method.

Remember to do it outside or protect your flooring with heavy duty sheet plastic. WEAR GLOVES and old clothes. Also, get some sort of clamping item (I use kelly-surgical clamps) for so many crafts things and assists. You can find these in electronic shops as well.

OR get the small foam paint brushes to help put the color on smoothly.

Octoberbabye

Can you tell us what were the instructions from Michelle on DIY from BE ORiginal show about painting the couch. Did you try it - how easy was it and did the color turn out nice?

January 15, 2009 Flag

Would I be able to change the color of a chair with fabric paint? Is there a spray can fabric paint that I can use? I have a nice chair but the color is all wrong.

Thanks,
Octoberbabye from Bradenton, FL, USA

Answers:

Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

How about using Rit dye? I would think that you could mix it in a bucket and use a sponge or brush to apply it to the chair. I would wait until spring or summer so that you could put it outside to dry thoroughly. Maybe you could buy some fabric that you like and make a slipcover for the chair? (02/25/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

I changed the color of the carpet in my car by mixing rit dye in a spray bottle and spraying on. Be careful with a chair though cause you can't rinse it and the dye may come off on clothes, but you could probably set the color with an iron like they do with silk scarves. (02/25/2007)

Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

I saw an episode on DIY that painted an entire sofa. She first used some sort of primer and then the color she wanted. Looked very nice when she was done.
I am sorry I don't remember who or what show. Perhaps a search in their archives? It was maybe 2 weeks ago. (02/27/2007)

By Graycrab

Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

Hey, I found something that works great for that. It is a fabric spray paint made for upholstery. It is made by Simply Spray. You can find it by searching google for "fabric spray paint". It covered nicely, dried soft, and does not rub off. I do not think dye would work because that has to be rinsed out after you dye it. (05/02/2007)

By TubaGreg

Changing the Color of a Fabric Chair

Thanks for all the responses. I went to the DIY site and contacted Michelle who does the Be Original show and she sent me the instructions. It's a painting project, first setting with gesso and then using latex paint. I have one couch to experiment on and if it works, I will do my living room couch and chair.
I did check the spray paint for fabrics, but the cost was too much. It cost me $10.00 for the gesso (and then I found that cheaper), and I have lots of paint around. Thanks again.
(05/08/2007)

By octoberbabye

Upholstered Chair
Dyeing Upholstery Fabric
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingJanuary 15, 2009
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Vertical Blinds
Changing the Color of Vertical Blinds
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🎄