Keeping Mice Out of a Camper

My 5th wheel camper has been at a camp ground since Aug. 2009. I have never had a problem with mice and have had my camper for 3 years 8 months. My husband came home Dec. 23rd and went back to the camper after New Years. He had food on the stove for dinner and found a mouse eating out of the pan.

The camper was left clean, no dishes or anything out of place. He noticed sunflower seeds in the stove top and the bed had droppings on it. Nobody had eaten in the bed. He does have a bag of sunflower seeds. My cable wire is running through my window and my cooking vent was left open for when you cook. I am very scared of mice. I was suppose to go there, but now I don't want to because I am afraid of mice.

How can they be in the camper now, when I have never had this happen before. My camper is parked against a hug tree and it leans over the whole top of my camper. I feel one of the things has to be how it got in. He placed a trap under the stove top and did kill one mouse, but I'm still not relieved that it is resolved.

By Kim from Sulphur, LA

Best Answer

Mice, rats and cat all hate peppermint. By putting peppermint oil on a cotton ball and then putting it in cabinets and/or any way you want to. The peppermint oil kept them out of my house (I live in the middle of a large field) when we were redoing our kitchen.

Best Answer

You have to change the dryer sheets every few weeks or they won't work. they seem to work good for me, except one year we got a weasel living in the camper. did some major damage.

You need to fix the holes where the water pipes & other pipes & wires come into the camper. Spray foam around them. Place some rat poison on peanut butter & bread or cracker. Hope this helps, good luck.

I own a campground. We recommend moth balls outside under the rvs (in them, too, if you can stand the smell), very perfumy dryer sheets all over the place, seal the openings, close all vents until you are back living in there.

We set an open box of mothballs in our pop-up camper before closing it for the winter - no problems and the "aroma" dissapates quickly when we air it out in the spring - actually, we return the box every time we close it up! No critters!

We have a travel trailer & under the camper are the water lines, etc. We use steel wool to fill the gaps. It not only keeps out mice but also insects... like spiders.

I'm not sure if this works, I'm trying it now. I have a motor home that had mice. i heard that the mice don't like irish spring soap. i cleaned all cabinets, any area with the poop, I cut the soap up and put it in all the cupboards, and cabinets. I will let you know if it works. Has anyone heard of this. I have a dog so I don't want to use poison.

Best Answer

I hate mice and have had problems with them in three of my campers. I fight them with a vengeance, but just to be clear, nothing makes the problem go away permanently. It is a constant battle. We store our camper under a shed near a wooded area. Not a smart choice, but it is our only option. That compounds the problem because there is a never ending supply of mice.

My new "used" fifth wheel had a serious infestation, so I began the process of ridding it of the heinous varmints. I started by cleaning out all the existing droppings and damage (wooden spoons chewed to shreds, etc.) so I can tell if I am making progress. Next I purchased 3 packages of Fresh Cab at my local farm and home store. Each package has 4 packets. I have read many blogs that say they work and many that say don't bother, but my infestation was so bad I was willing to try anything.

I scattered the packets under cabinets, in corners, by the front door that has a pretty big unsealed area at the bottom and under the bed.

I also sprayed Repels All heavily around anything that touched the ground on the outside of the camper. Repels All has a predator urine and smells pretty bad so using it inside is not possible.

Next, I also set traps baited simply with bread. I waited and checked. First day, nothing. Second day two trapped mice, next day nothing, Third day one mouse. Then for three days I have had no trapped mice. I check daily, clean any droppings I find and hope for the best.

We recently had torrential rains so I treated the outside heavily with Repels All again.

My next step will be to start trying to locate any holes where mice can enter. In addition to spray foam with pest repellent, I will also stuff each hole with steel wool. That has kept mice out of my house for 20 years. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.) I also used this method on an apartment we built in our horse barn-a haven for mice. I stuff steel wool around ever opening under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. I packed it under the baseboard molding and under the shower where it didn't fit snuggly to the floor. Mice can enter through an incredibly tiny opening. So far, not a mouse has gotten in. I strongly advocate steel wool.

I will report back on my success or failure.

We have had a tent trailer and Boler Irish spring soap works great

The only time we got mouse in our trailer was when they ate the irish spring soap that was missed.

I had Irish spring this past winter inside my camper. A mouse got in and actually are 3/4 of one bar. Couldn't believe it. So NO, it doesn't work

Just FYI I used irish spring soap last year in my camper because I heard that it repelled mice - never had more mice or more of a mess in my camper - I will not use irish spring soap in my camper again!

Hi I just read your response to the topic of mice in the campers. I was wondering if the soap worked or not. We opened ours after putting moth balls and dryer sheets into every nook and cranny and when we opened it most of the curtains were chewed as well as chunks of insulation were on one of the beds.

RV camper
Keeping Mice Out of a Camper
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceJanuary 5, 2010
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Mouse in Kitchen
Keeping Mice out of Appliances
Camping With Travel Trailer
Traveling With a Camper or Trailer
A truck towing a vintage popup camper.
Repairing a Popup Camper
🎉
🎄