Keeping Food Cold for the Dinner Table

When I have to put out dinner and don't want to refrigerate the bowl of sliced fruit, for example, because there isn't enough room in the fridge, I do this. I will put the fruit in a bowl, cover it with a Corelle plate and put as many small freezer packs (blue ice for lunchboxes) as will fit on the top of the plate. Keeps it cold enough to last while I prepare the rest of dinner. It's good for at least an hour. I don't know if this would work with a mayonnaise based product, but based on the theory that heat rises and cold falls, the fruit seems to be remaining tolerably cold until meal time.

We have a special shelf in the freezer just for the little blue ices. Been doing this for a couple of years and am satisfied with the results. I got the idea from the Chillzane platters. However, I was wondering how they could keep the food cold enough since the cold radiates downward, rather than upward to the surface of the plate. I would have purchased one of those platters, but they need to be hand washed and I prefer to use a dishwasher (seems more sanitary).

You could also put the bowl of fruit into a larger bowl that had ice in it. Try to surround the fruit bowl w/ the ice, you don't need much. And, of course, cover the fruit w/ plastic wrap or some such to keep it clean. This works on a buffet also, or a picnic

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsMay 3, 2007
Making a Fabric Dinner Roll Holder
Making a Fabric Dinner Roll Holder
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 23, 2016 at 1:58:20 PM on 10.0.0.42 in 901 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.