Disappearing Zucchini Blossoms

What is snapping the flowers off my zucchini plants? We have a 2 ft. fence around it.

By Phyllis from Lodi, WI

Most likely squirrels. Don't rule out snails and slugs. They are working on my tomatoes here. Got ORTHO Slug and Snail stuff to use. The S & S are in the larvea stage, and don't look like the Aug/Sept shape of S & S.

If you are rural where the gofers are, they could be doing it too. Had them all, finally got the fencing up to keep the rabbits out.

June 25, 2010 Flag

By Ellen Brown

The blossoms on my zucchini form great and look healthy, but look like they have been cut off just below the blossom during the night. I can't find any insects around or in the mulch or soil. What could do this?

Edwin from Ventura, CA

You're zucchini blossoms could be falling prey to a number of animals like rats, rabbits, raccoons, ground hogs, skunks, or deer. And if you've ever eaten zucchini blossoms yourself, it's understandable, they're wonderful! Once critters get a taste for this delicious buffet, they will keep coming back for more. So unless you're willing to set up a commando post in your backyard and sit up all night wearing a pair of night vision goggles (although to me this does sound fun), you're going to have to cover your zucchini plants if you hope to have anything left at harvest time. Some inexpensive row covers should do the trick. They let in light and do a pretty good job of discouraging most animals. Row covers also keep out the bees, so plan on pollinating your plants by hand. Depending on the size of your zucchini patch, you could also fashion a cage made out of chicken wire and secure it to the ground with stakes. This will still allow the bees in and save you the work of hand pollinating.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Disappearing Zucchini Blossoms

This happened to me last year, I didn't put any in this year because, well various reasons. I think the bunnies and the land turtles ate mine.
I got not one single zucchini and the blossoms were really big and pretty, too.

By fauxpaslover

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 25, 2010
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Chopped Zucchini
Sweet Zucchini Pie Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes