Homemade Cheese and Cracker Lunch Kits

Do your kids like those expensive pre-made lunch kits? I have a better and less costly idea that works for my 6 year old grand-daughter. When I need to pack her a lunch for school or a field trip, I take all store brand essentials to make the "kit".

I use a cookie cutter to cut out the ham or turkey lunch meat, cut up a slice of cheese into little squares, put in a few Ritz crackers, 2 Oreo's, and a bag or box drink. I put all that in a reusable container. She loves the flower or heart designs of the meat the best, and it costs a fraction of the price.

By Mary W from Virginia Beach, VA

Much healthier too. Those pre-made lunches are loaded with salt, msg and preservatives with high calories.

What a great idea! Kids love those pre-made expensive lunch packs. Most of the time it is just the novelty of having the cute way it is packaged. Thank you for sharing with us! By preparing it yourself, you can be sure of good ingredients, and can use good ingredients that are much better health-wise.

Love this idea! Sneak in a few pieces of thinly sliced celery and/or carrots too. ;-)

A child eating a brown bag lunch.
Saving Money on Packed Lunches
Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchApril 4, 2011
Cracker Crumbs on Wooden Cutting Board
Using Cracker Crumbs
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Fresh ricotta cheese.
Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Woman Having Salad for Lunch
Packing Salad for Lunch
🎄