Home Hair Highlighting Kits

Category Coloring
There are many hair highlighting kits that are designed to be done in the comfort of your own home. This is a guide about home hair highlighting kits.

Are there any professional hairdressers here? I need to get my hair highlighted and want to know if the at home kits are safe. I only need a few done and it's so expensive in the salon and even the beauty school charges the min. of $30. Last time I had my hair done, the stylist went on and on about the home ones not being safe- that some contain lead and copper? Any suggestions? thanks

Mindy

Answers

Best Answer

Yes,
I'm a professional hair dresser. I'm not sure about the home kits not being safe. You can find out if this hair stylist was lying to you or not, by checking out the two products yourself. Take a trip to Walmart or a local pharmacy and read the ingredients on the box of hair color. Write down the product name, and all the specifics, especially all the ingredients that are listed on the box.

Take that information with you and stop at a Sally's Beauty Supply Store and look at the professional products and compare the ingredients. Or better yet telephone a beauty supply store and ask the clerk if they can grab a product off the shelf and have her read you the ingredients over the telephone.

I hope that I've answered your question.

By Vicki (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Yes they are safe. I am a hair dresser and I do my neighbor's hair with L'Oreal. She has always been pleased with the results. The only thing I do not like is they do not usually give enough bleach for the lightning part. Always use a conditioner afterwards.

Best Answer

Home kits seem to have only one difference that I can find which is that they don't seem to be quite as strong/potent. This problem is usually remedied by making sure that you leave it on your hair the maximum amount of time and do a strand test before washing it out to be sure that you have the result you want. You can log in to Clariol and find a wealth of information to help you also.

In case of a bad result, they have a hotline to tell you how to make color corrections.

Best Answer

Yes they are safe. I am a professional as well and they are exactly the same as what they use in the salons. The only reason it wouldn't be safe would be if your pregnant. Highlighting your hair is essentially bleaching it so you just want to be careful, if you have chemically straightened or permed your hair ( or plan to) it will fry your hair when you lighten it more than 1-2 shades. Most hair colors these days are much gentler than they used to be and more often than not will leave your hair in better condition than it was before you colored it.

Good luck!