Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Rusty Nails for African Violets

Your African violets will bloom longer, prettier and more abundantly, if you stick a few rusty nails in the soil alongside them.

By oldtimes from Slaughters, KY

By

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By LeeAnne67 [3]02/12/2011

Hmmmmm...I think I have some old nails out in the shed. I just may give this a try!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Rusty Nails for African Violets

I just read that putting rusty nails in the soil of your African violets will help them bloom beautifully - so I just put some in. Wish me luck.

By Pam from L.A., CA

Nail Your African Violets

(format_html)
RE: Rusty Nails for African Violets 04/20/2006
Insert a few rusty nails into the soil around your African violets. The blossoms will be larger, and brighter in color and more profuse.
By joesgirl
This trick works for my Clematis, I put the rusty nails in the ground near the roots....and the results were stunning.
By jenireed
(04/20/2006)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Rusty Nails for African Violets

My gardenia`s leaves were rather pale so I went to a local nursery for help. The saleslady showed me a container of "iron" for $10.00. She opened the jar to show me the contents. I remarked that it looked like particles of rust. She smiled and told me that burying a rusty nail or two in plants that require iron will do exactly the same thing. Saved $10.00 and gardenia leaves are once again dark and shiny. (04/21/2006)

By Mairmie

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.