Use Wood, Glass or China for Salad

Do not use metal bowls when mixing salads. Use wood, glass or china.

Why?

Why aren't you supposed to use metal when mixing salads? I've been making salads probably 5 out of 7 days a week (unless I'm on vacation) for 43 years) & I've never had a problem. I'm very curious as to the logic of this.

Thank you.

i worked a pretty nice restaurant and we used stainless steel bowls for salads. Having said that, I have heard that some ingredients may react to the metal in metal bowls. It's not that big of a deal... if you look in a culinary text book you would be amazed by all different recommendations they have... wood for this, metal for that... I have also heard that cutting lettuce will make it brown more quickly, which may be true, but even at a nice restaurant we couldn't afford to tear up lettuce for salads. Wood for this, metal for that... doesn't really mean much to me or the home chef, IMO.

Hi,

I've been looking around and the only thing I've been able to find is this:

"Remove the leaves and place it in a wooden or glass bowl. Metal bowls or spoons should not be used in preparing lettuce salads. "

It was on a forum about making Caesar Salad. I haven't found any reason why. Maybe we have a chef out there that can tell us.

I found this on: http://forumhub.com/intlfood/6015.03.45.51.html

- Susan at ThriftyFun

it's because using metal will cause the lettuce to wilt sooner. Try cutting with a plastic knife or simply tearing the lettuce and it will last longer, too!

Making a Salad
Salad Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesOctober 19, 2004
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
China tea cup and saucer with floral pattern.
Cleaning Fine China Dishes
China Cup and Saucer
Appraising China
🎄