Paint Over Papered Walls

Can you help me? I painted over pre-papered drywall, now it is flaking off. What can I do?

Debbie from Bryant, AL

Answers

Do you mean that you painted over walls that had been papered with wallpaper? I see that this is done fairly frequently on TV and seems to be okay, so I am wondering if the paper you have has had some sort of vinyl coating or was very greasy for some reason. Paint will peel off if the surface underneath is very smooth, such over tile, or if the surface has some moisture underneath, such as on exterior walls.

I don't know of any way that you can fix this. If it is very bad, I suggest starting over, removing the wallpaper, priming the wallboard, and then painting.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Louise from Nipawin, Canada

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingSeptember 30, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
Latex Paint
Applying Latex Paint Over Oil Paint
🎄
🍂