Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

How do I sew the satin binding on a blanket/corner?

By Becky from Tulsa, OK

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

Is there a no fail way to sew satin trim on blankets? Mine always gets bunched up or even completely missed by my sewing machine when I am trying to sew it on with just one side visible to the eye.

Helen

RE: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

I would recommend sewing just one side of the satin trim with your machine and the other by hand:
  1. Press one side of satin trim up 1/2 inch.
  2. With right sides together, match raw edge of unpressed satin trim to raw edge of blanket. Stitch 1/2 inch; from raw edge. Press seam toward the blanket.
  3. Fold satin trim over so that the pressed edge covers your seam allowance. You can pin and press the trim so that the folded edge just barely covers the seam stitching.
  4. You will now sew the folded edge to the blanket by hand. Do this by drawing up one stitch on your needle, sliding the needle through the folded edge of the satin (3-5 stitch lengths) and then bring the need out of the edge of the satin. Repeat around the blanket.

Hopefully that makes sense. Good luck. (10/08/2008)

RE: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

I am a big believer in using glue sticks for just such an application as yours. Use the kind that wash out. It's glue basting and you can get the satin trim to stay just where you want it so you can sew it on. Just let it dry completely before you sew or you can really gum up your needle.

Susan in Omaha (10/10/2008)

By Susan M.

Archive: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

What is the easiest most accurate way to sew the satin ribbon on blankets. I'm having difficulty with the corners. I'm unsure how to cut and sew. I've been experimenting with it, but there must be a trick to it.

By Marsha Jean from Belmont, NY

RE: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

You simply Google "tutorial sewing mitered corners" Or "quilt binding mitered corner tutorial" or something to that effect. This top URL is the best! (very easy and great detailed pictures): Here's a great tutorial a friend told me about, now she sews the best mitered corners on her receiving blankets! I bet you could make your own binding with satin fabric instead of buying the blanket-binding in packages. http://sometimescrafter.blogspot.com/2009/08/binding-tutorial-three-part-series.html Here's another one: http://www.amycarriere.com/2009/04/mitered-corner-tutorial-oldie-but-goodie/ lf you have broadband you can also watch this 5 minute video: www.5min.com/.../How-to-Sew-Binding-With-Mitered-Corners-111412059 (08/12/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

I have used the 1/2"inch or smaller Stitch Witchery. I iron it on one side of blanket being quilted. I iron the stitch witchery to wrong side of satin trim, apply this to the side of quilt or blanket on the right side of blanket, etc. I then have done the same for the back or stitch the back side by hand. Be careful as the Stitch Witchery will be very hot when you are done ironing it in place. I put this on first before I even start putting blanket together, that way the batting doesn't melt or get bunched up. Just add to one side of the top layer then do whatever, when time to put binding or trim on other side the crease of the binding is your guide to finishing. You can Stitch Witch both or sew back side by hand. (08/13/2009)

By thunderheart54

Archive: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

Does anyone know where I can find a video on how to sew satin trim on a blanket, especially for doing the corners?

By Kyle from St. Louis, MO

RE: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

Just take out the stitching on an old blanket and see how it is done. Or if there is a Jo Ann's fabric store near you, ask them. They will show you how. (12/29/2010)

By Lilac

Archive: Sewing Satin Trim on Blankets

How do I sew a satin blanket binding that looks good? Does anyone have any tips?

By Jo from Cedar Glen, CA