Crafts Using Old Crayons

I have a large amount of old crayons from a Sunday School class. I would love to use them up to make something for the kids in my class. Someone suggested melting them in cookie cutters to make shaped crayons. Any ideas on how to do this, or other uses?

Kelly from North Carolina

Remove the paper from the crayons, melt them down and use them to make candles.

I used to put 2 or 3 broken crayons in cupcake papers and heat them in a muffin tin at a low oven temp. When they melt and swirl together.... Voila! multicolored crayons! Thesr are great for rubbings. Leaves, zippers etc.

You can use them to add color when making candles.

You can shave the crayons w/ a peeler into small flakes. Then place the different colored shavings between to sheets of waxed paper & run a warm iron over it to create a suncatcher. These can be cut into shapes, sealed at the edges w/ a glue stick. Add a hole punched in the top for hanging. You can mix the crayon shavings or keep each color in a small plastic container. These would look pretty made into tree shapes at Christmas using red & green shavings. If the kids are old enough they could draw some simple designs on the wax paper w/ sharpie markers. Some ideas are a Jack-o-lantern for Halloween, a decorated tree for Christmas, lines on the Easter Egg, and of course their names.

Many years ago. my mom put my old pieces of crayons in clear plastic pill bottles and melted them in the oven. I imagine if you keep an eye on them and use a low temp this could work. When she took them out she pierced a hole in them and we strung them on string or leather and they made for a cool medallion. You get some really interesting shapes. oh take me back to the good ol'days....