Next >︎
To Top

Filling Chips in Wall Before Repainting

We live in an old house that has many coats of paint on the inside walls. We painted the walls taupe and left the ceilings white.

I want to spruce up the house and there are chips out of the paint on walls, corners, etc. that show these paint colors that are buried under our paint.

Can anyone tell me how I go about filling in these gouges and indentations with my taupe paint? I'm not handy. Sometimes the chip has left a little indentation where I have to paint. Do I fill it with Spackle of some kind? Can you tell me what kind of Spackle to use please?

Thanks very much.

By metroplex from Houston, TX, USA

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 17, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

I always have a small can of spackle on hand, You can buy it at WalMart. I use it whenever I change where I have things hanging on the walls in my apartment. I just use the tip of my finger and smear it on. The spackles that I have used in the past go on colored and dry white or off-white. You only want to buy a really small can, because you don't need much and I have had it dry out sometimes, because it lasts too long.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 17, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

Now for this project you should use the fluffy type of Spackle. Chip away any more of the loose paint chipping around those spots and just use one of those inexpensive plastic spackling spatulas to apply and smooth. Being that it is just chipping paint around those spots you should be able to smooth that spot out well enough using the spatula that you won't need to sand. Then just paint after a day of drying. Actually, I've even cheated and touch up painted after just a couple of hours of drying when it was necessary to get 'er done quickly. ;-)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 18, 20100 found this helpful

Does anyone know the name of the spackle that comes in the can, please?

And, I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 'fluffy' and 'non fluffy' spackle. Would you mind explaining and maybe even give me some brands, please?

Thank you so much for your help all of you.

It will be 'interesting' to see how it turns out!

Thank God it's a small room!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 18, 20100 found this helpful

Hi Metroplex :-)

The fluffy kind is called 'Lightweight Spackle' and comes in a very small 8 ounce plastic container and not in a can. You can buy it just about anywhere but the last time I got mine was from Ace Hardware and it has the Ace Hardware logo on it. No matter where you buy it from the 'lightweight' is the same no matter who distributes it. It stays good for just about forever as long as you make sure the lid is completely closed when finished using it and don't leave it open too long while doing a project. Oh, and a little bit of it goes a long way.

Deeli :-)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
woman sparkling wall
Using Wall Spackle
Next >︎
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 17, 2010
bowl of pita chips
Homemade Pita Chips Recipes
Blue Flame of Gas Stove
Removing Yellow Wall Stains from Gas Stove
Paint Chips
Crafts Using Paint Chips
Man Putting Spackling Paste is Hole in Wall
Filling Nail Holes in a Wall
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/16 02:15:18 in 779 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!