Putting Plastic Stakes Into Hard Ground

How do you put stakes that hold Santas or candy canes, etc, into hard ground. I live in Tucson and the ground in very hard. I tried a hammer and everything. They would not go in. The stakes were unfortunately hard plastic. That could be the problem. However that is what the decorated Santas or candy canes came with. Please help as Christmas is just around the corner, thank goodness.

Sheilaewton from Tucson, AZ

I take a 3 foot section of steel "rebar" and drive it into the hard soil with a heavy hammer, called a "sledge hammer". Twist and tap the rebar from side to side to enlarge the hole to the size your plastic stake is. Remove the rebar. Then insert your plastic stake into the hole! You can buy short lengths of "rebar" at Lowe's or Home Depot. They don't cost much......maybe a dollar or less.....and come in handy for other things as well.

I know what you are talking about. Another suggestion is to take clay flowerpots, fill with something sturdy and put the plastic candy cane stakes in them.

According to the mailman when we were putting in a new mailbox and post. He told us the easiest way to do this was to have the hose on real low and as you are pushing down and twisting the ground gives way and you do it with minimal effort. Of course this was after my husband knocked himself out doing it the old way. LOL.. I guess give it a try.

You can get a package of 4 metal plastic topped tent stakes at Walmart for about 2.00. They can be hammered in, they are like a big nail & you can tie a rope to them if needed.

water just wet area where stakes will be and it will be

a lot easier.

Once you make a hole, hammer a small piece of pvc pipe in so in the future all you have to do is slide you decoration in the hole.

Can anyone tell me how to easily insert the black plastic stake into the lighted candy cane? I have already broken one. Thanks, Deb

Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Christmas yard decorations
Buying Stakes for Christmas Yard Decorations
Closeup of hen and chicks.
Choosing the Right Groundcover
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
🎄