Sterilize Your Sponge in the Microwave

I have seen comments regarding cleaning kitchen sponges in the microwave. How does one go about cleaning sponges with Teflon "scrubbie" on other side of sponge? Can you put that in microwave?

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

NO! the teflon is not microwave safe. It "could" cause severe damage to the microwave and possibly much more. Try washing it in the dishwasher in one of the pockets on the silverware tray. It might fly out of that though. Maybe put it under a bowl on the wrack as long as it can't fall through.

It really isn't safe to use sponges in the kitchen. It is best to use a dishcloth and change to a clean one every day. For those scrubbies, I put them in the dishwasher.

Teflon is not a good thing in a microwave! Do you have an automatic dishwasher? If so, just put it in the silverware basket each time you do a load of dishes. If you don't have an automatic dishwasher just soak it in a small bowl of distilled vinegar overnight and that will disinfect it :-)

I have had no problems with sterilizing sponges with a scrub material on one side. I always do it with the sponge side down and the scrubbing material face up, but I don't know if that is necessary.

A pile of sponges ready for cleaning.
Sterilizing Sponges
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 23, 2010
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake Recipes
Eggless Sponge Cake
Eggless Sponge Cake Recipes
White wall with dark green sponge painting.
Sponge Painting Walls
🎄