Chess Cake and Request

I am submitting this recipe with a request - this is a delicious, very rich cake and my family loves it and requests it at every event. Literally every event - my son wants to have it as his groom's cake in October! I would be thrilled to do this for him, but I'm perplexed as to how I might "set it up" to look elegant enough and serve enough on a table. I would love for any and all to try this very easy and delicious recipe and then give me suggestions as to how I might accomplish this feat! Thank you all so much! I just love my thrifty friends and I tell everyone I know about this wonderful site!

CHESS CAKE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole/Pyrex dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Ingredients Step 1:

• 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 box yellow cake mix, preferably pudding in the mix variety

Mix above ingredients together to form a soft dough and press into glass pyrex dish.

Ingredients Step 2:

• 1 box confectioner's sugar
  • 1 8 oz cream cheese
  • 3 eggs

Mix above ingredients together and pour over dough.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 min. Watch it carefully - it likes to get too brown on bottom. The top will be a little gooey, so a toothpick will not come out cleanly. Cool and cut into squares. Some love the middle pieces, and others fight for the edges and corners - try them both!

By Tripleb from Greenville, AL

I make this same cake with one addition: I sprinkle 1 cup of chopped walnuts on top before baking. Everyone just raves about how good this is.

On how to set up your cake depends on how many people you are serving, the theme, & color. A great way is to get 3 VERY LARGE, but different sized brandy glasses, turn them upside down & use them for cake stands. You can use the upside down bowl of the glass to put something masculine in them, like toy cars, a piece of plaid material or if he has a favorite pet maybe a dog bone, dog collar, something fun, maybe pieces of a chess set, or darts. Enjoy

Cricket Girl

First of all...........that cake sounds wonderful! I want to bake it now......but with no one here to help me eat it......I'm afraid I would seriously over-indulge!

Here is my "idea" for the cake.

Get one of those 3 tiered dessert stands. The ones I've seen will hold 3 large round plates, stacked one above the other, with candy or cookies or cupcakes placed on each of the plates.

You could cut the cake into small, square serving pieces and put each piece in a white cupcake "paper"

and then set those on the three plates. I believe "Wilton" has the plain white cupcake papers. (Or you could use the standard pastel papers found in the grocery store if that would work for you.)

You might paint the stand itself white and decorate with tulle, or ribbons, or flowers. The plates could be clear, or white, or whatever color you'd like. If you had more than the three plates to use....you could "load" them ahead of time and then just switch out a plate when it becomes empty.

Hope someone else comes up with more ideas so you have several options! Good Luck!

This sounds delicious; I can't wait to make it. I feel kind of stupid but I've never heard of a chess cake before and I was wondering why it is called that?

Thanks so much for the feedback......let me know if you make the cake and like it!!!! bbb

You didn't specify what size pyrex dish to bake the cake in. I would love to try it but need specifics. Thanks and good luck

Hi Java Girl = the dish size is in the very beginning of the post, where it gives the oven preheating temp = 9x13 in. bbb

I have made this for years and everyone begs for more.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesJune 14, 2006
Asking for a Raise
Asking for a Raise
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Homecoming Couple
Asking a Girl to Homecoming
🎄