Tips for Dealing With Icy Steps

Ideas for dealing with icy steps. Post your ideas.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water and

put Dawn dishwashing liquid in it. Pour it all over the steps. They won't refreeze. (wish I had known this for the last 10 years!)

By Wendy

Could you please more specific on how much Dawn and warm water is to be used? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I just used plain table salt & it worked like a charm. The $ store had it 3-$1.00. I also carry a zip lock bag in my coat pocket for icy places away from home. Hope this helps.

Christine

IN.

I use table salt on my steps. I keep a container of salt near the front door to just take out & sprinkle as you go.

The salt solution sounds great, except that repeated applications over time may cause the concrete surface to "spall" and ruin concrete surface in freeze/thaw conditions.

Answer

Home and Garden Home Improvement WeatherizingMarch 5, 2005
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
Make Steps From Cinder Blocks
Making Steps with Cinder Blocks
IRS Audit
Dealing With an IRS Audit
Icy Steps
Keeping Ice Off Steps and Walkways
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 12, 2016 at 5:56:38 AM on 10.0.2.62 in 928 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.