Food SafetyFood Tips

Refrigerator Door Left Open

My husband accidentally left the the refrigerator door partially open. Do I throw all food away? I found this out at 6 am and we went to bed at 11 pm last night. I really need advice on this please.

Thank you,
Annie from Hallsville, MO

What temperature was the food when you discovered the door was open? If it was still cool, you are probably okay. Even if the stuff on the door was room temp, if the stuff in the back (by where the cool air comes in) was cool, that stuff can probably stay. I'd throw out any raw meat or lunch meat that may have gotten above 40 degrees for any length of time, but most things in the fridge are probably okay. Just my opinion though....

I personally would not throw all of the food away. How warm was it really inside the fridge. Even though the door was open it was still trying to keep things cold. I guess you would have to judge by how warm the things felt when you discovered the problem. Think about things that are very touchy and maybe discard those.

I agree with the previous post. The refrigerator was still running even though the door was open. I would not throw anything away unless it felt warm. It's not like we are in the middle of Summer!

The grocery stores do this all the time. They have refrigerator & Freezer bins that have no doors on them and yet the food stays perfectly safe. There is probably going to surge in your electric bill for that time frame, but I don't see a problem w/ your food being safe.

Nothing is worth food poisoning! Throw out mayo, keep the eggs. You cannot smell food poisoning.

If in doubt, throw it out!!!

Love & Prayers,

Linda

Personally, I would throw out any uncooked meat, and eggs.

THANK YOU ALL! I really thank you for the time you

took to send me your advice. I threw out milk, eggs,

bacon, and mayo, salsa.

Stuff that was almost gone in the front doors went

to trash bin.

Thankfully I had not put any meat to defrost in there.

Buy an inexpensive refrigerator / freezer thermometer & use them. It is worth the peace of mind. Also will alert you if there is a problem w/ your appliances not maintaining the proper temperatures. Good location for them is somewhere in the middle of the fridge or on top of something in the freezer where you can easily see it. Useful for refrig, freezer & chest/upright freezers.

The same thing just happened to me! ugh. I ended up throwing out some ground beef. I'm going to see how the milk smells in the morning. So bummed, cuz I just went grocery shopping, but better safe than sorry I guess.

last year my grandson left our freezer door open and EVERYTHING

thawed!!! Im telling you we had 3 crock pots going.. the oven, the stove top. And gave lotsa things to the neighbors. lol We werent mad at him, how do you get mad at your adorable grandson? We all worked hard that day tho and actualy had fun doing it.. heck of a way to get the freezer cleaned out but we did lol

Please go to the web address below for the USDA Food Safety Fact Sheets on what to do.

This subject matter is too serious and requires corrective action on your part to protect the health of your family.

C:\Users\Celine\Documents\Refrigeration & Food Safety.mht