Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Refrigerator Door Left Open

My husband accidentally left the the refrigerator door partially open. Do I throw all food away? I found this out at 6 am and we went to bed at 11 pm last night. I really need advice on this please.

Thank you,
Annie from Hallsville, MO

By

By Celine Bir-Olvera RN MSN Ed (Guest Post)04/28/2008

Please go to the web address below for the USDA Food Safety Fact Sheets on what to do.
This subject matter is too serious and requires corrective action on your part to protect the health of your family.

C:\Users\Celine\Documents\Refrigeration & Food Safety.mht

By Ariela [31]11/19/2007

last year my grandson left our freezer door open and EVERYTHING
thawed!!! Im telling you we had 3 crock pots going.. the oven, the stove top. And gave lotsa things to the neighbors. lol We werent mad at him, how do you get mad at your adorable grandson? We all worked hard that day tho and actualy had fun doing it.. heck of a way to get the freezer cleaned out but we did lol

By (Guest Post)11/19/2007

The same thing just happened to me! ugh. I ended up throwing out some ground beef. I'm going to see how the milk smells in the morning. So bummed, cuz I just went grocery shopping, but better safe than sorry I guess.

By kidsNclutter02/16/2006

Buy an inexpensive refrigerator / freezer thermometer & use them. It is worth the peace of mind. Also will alert you if there is a problem w/ your appliances not maintaining the proper temperatures. Good location for them is somewhere in the middle of the fridge or on top of something in the freezer where you can easily see it. Useful for refrig, freezer & chest/upright freezers.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]02/15/2006

THANK YOU ALL! I really thank you for the time you
took to send me your advice. I threw out milk, eggs,
bacon, and mayo, salsa.
Stuff that was almost gone in the front doors went
to trash bin.
Thankfully I had not put any meat to defrost in there.

By Maryeileen [76]02/15/2006

Personally, I would throw out any uncooked meat, and eggs.

By Linda Howe02/15/2006

Nothing is worth food poisoning! Throw out mayo, keep the eggs. You cannot smell food poisoning.

If in doubt, throw it out!!!

Love & Prayers,
Linda

By Sandra (Guest Post)02/15/2006

The grocery stores do this all the time. They have refrigerator & Freezer bins that have no doors on them and yet the food stays perfectly safe. There is probably going to surge in your electric bill for that time frame, but I don't see a problem w/ your food being safe.

By Joan [19]02/15/2006

I agree with the previous post. The refrigerator was still running even though the door was open. I would not throw anything away unless it felt warm. It's not like we are in the middle of Summer!

By Pattie Hartley [1]02/15/2006

I personally would not throw all of the food away. How warm was it really inside the fridge. Even though the door was open it was still trying to keep things cold. I guess you would have to judge by how warm the things felt when you discovered the problem. Think about things that are very touchy and maybe discard those.

By t from md (Guest Post)02/15/2006

What temperature was the food when you discovered the door was open? If it was still cool, you are probably okay. Even if the stuff on the door was room temp, if the stuff in the back (by where the cool air comes in) was cool, that stuff can probably stay. I'd throw out any raw meat or lunch meat that may have gotten above 40 degrees for any length of time, but most things in the fridge are probably okay. Just my opinion though....