Why is Label Glue so Sticky?

Loads of people seem to be wondering how to get sticky labels off jam jars etc.. That was my problem and I appreciate all your great helpful hints. Peanut butter, that was a new one for me. I will try anything, I am so frustrated. My question is to someone out there in the label manufacturing world: Why is such strong glue used for such simple labels in the first place? What's wrong with simple old non-toxic flour and water? I'd like to know if anyone is planning to do anything about the label glue problem? Cheers.

Lelly from NSW, Australia

I'm not sure why they do it, but I do a few things to get glue off. Stick it in the dishwasher, the prolonged exposure to the hot water and soap takes off a lot of glue, not always all of it. I sometimes soak the item in hot water from the coffee pot. There is the peanut butter thing, lighter fluid, and then of course Goo B Gone, or Goof Off that you can buy just about anywhere. One of them has a strong smell, and the other doesn't, I don't remember which is which. I think it's the Goof Off that doesn't smell so bad. Good luck!

My guess is that the manufacturers that make the product that is in the jar want the label to stay on as long as possible to advertise their product. In their eyes, the longer the label is on, the more people will see the name and contents of what is in the jar. Just a guess............

Can anyone tell me if Goo B Gone is available in Australia and if so where from? Thanks

I am fairly certain you could find Goo Gone in most hardware stores and some large grocery stores carry it ... If you can't find it in Australia try Amazon.com or even eBay :-) Oh, and there are 'knock off' brands so try to find the original Goo Gone ... It's orange in color and has a citrus smell ... Hope this helps ...

Try Auto Stores. Our's carry more that just one kind. I have a spray can of Motsenblock's Lift Off which I have used for years. The salespeople in the store can tell you if they have it are not. Just ask for Gum and Adhesive Remover. Good Luck.

Thanks so much to you all for your advice - have asked a friend in the States to post me a container of Goo B Gone (the real thing, no imitations!).

Cheers

Lelly

Lighter fluid works every time.

A friend said she used fabric softener with steam to remove wallpaper. Soaked it first to remove. The best remover is Goo-Gone,it always works. When I need to solve a problem, my thought is what do I have on hand at the time. Whichever I have is what I try first. Saves time, gas and a trip to the store again.

Sticky Buns
Sticky Buns Recipes
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Canned sweetened milk.
Making Glue With Milk
🎄
🍂