Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Moth Balls for Squirrels

Can I use moth balls to rid my garden of squirrels? If not moth balls what else is effective?

By Mabrams from FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Louise B. [4]04/17/2009

Moth balls are very toxic, and smell awful -- even outside. I tried to use them to keep stray cats out from under my deck. Believe me, I would have rather have had the stray cats and their deposits than the mothballs.

By Janet [7]04/13/2009

A friend uses this idea. It works, but it is very hard on the squirrels! He uses a large metal container filled with water. He puts some peanut butter on a frisbee & floats it in the center of the container. When the squirrels jump onto the frisbee, they drown. If you think of squirrels as rodents, & think of how much damage they can do if they ever get into your house, this method can be understood. I would rather use a have a heart trap, but then you have to bring the squirrel somewhere & release them. I am afraid of squirrels. I know also that they can be rabid. Please no comments on how awful this method is! I agree.

By kathleen williams [23]04/08/2009

Moth balls do help a little, I also hang plastic bags & put foil or anything that shines in garden. Also when you see them near the garden have 2 empty cans handy, like corn & etc, beat the bottoms of the cans together. It sounds like a gun. They will run, want stay near the garden, good luck.

By Deanj04/08/2009

Forget the moth balls. The critters just find a new route or move them out of the way. I use a have a heart trap. I bait it with seeds. When I capture one I release it about 10 miles away from the house. it doesn't get rid of them completely but it does controll the population.