Fixing a Tear in an Above Ground Pool

I have an above ground pool that is almost 1 year old. The pool has been empty for about 3 weeks, my husband was cleaning it and had a bucket which he dropped and it made a tear in the bottom of the liner approximately 5 inches long. Can we use a patch repair kit or will the liner have to be replaced? I have also read about shrinking and am worried about getting it filled and then having more problems. Thanks!

MIsty from Gulfport, MS

try patching first, ours has been patched for 3 years now and holding fine, you can always replace liner if needed later, but try the patch first. Replacing liner is a big expense.

When we had our pool, I repaired some big tears with a patch kit. Just be liberal in using the goopy glue. After they dried, I even put an extra coat on top of the entire patch to make sure it was sealed and would hold. We never had any problems, as long as the hole wasn't on a seam.

We have an above ground pool with a a few tears in it; from a neighbours dog jumping up on the side. I bought some marine goop and used the patches from the pool kit and it works excellent. I really gooped up the underside of the patch and pool and then once I layed the patch down I gooped over it as well. The marine goop works great because it's for water and it's very flexable.

I hope this helps.

Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 3, 2007
Above Ground Pool
Repairing an Above Ground Swimming Pool
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
A blue above ground swimming pool.
Cleaning an Above Ground Pool
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool