General AdviceConsumer Advice

Rust in the Microwave

Has any one ever had rust in the bottom of there microwave and what did you do about it? I have a General Electric microwave that has rust in the bottom, but is still working fine. the microwave is 1 and 1/2 years old. I have contacted GE about this, but warranty was only for 1 year.

By Elva from Shreveport, LA

Anonymous

If your leaving the door closed when there's moisture in there it will rust. The microwave should still work okay. The last GE microwave I had turned itself on when the cheap, cheap, cheap plastic switch broke. GE is a big defense contractor, I assume their war equipment isn't as cheap as their home appliances.

I had the same problem with my ge microwave. What a piece of crappola! The paint on the inside of the doors chipped off. It's just hubby and me who use it. I clean with baking soda, or white vinegar, no ajax etc. Allowed. Also the turntable quit working just after one year. To make matters worse it's a built in over my range, so it's going to be a "mother" to replace when the time comes. Bottom line GE stinks. Also I read they are no longer in the appliance business.