String Easter Eggs

Why does no one have a picture of the string Easter eggs? How much string do I use? How much of the balloon should be covered? Does anyone have pictures for this craft?

Barb from Weidman, MI

When I was in elementary school in the 1960's, we also made paper mache made with pretty colored paper or tissue paper over balloons. After it dried, we cut out the side and made a scene inside like a sugar egg.

I purchase a bottle of liquid starch and a ball of crochet string. I fill a Ziploc baggie with the starch and place the ball of string in it and place both in a cereal bowl. I let it sit for 3-4 days and keep turning the ball of string in the bag until it is saturated all the way through to the core. I blow up a balloon to the size I want. Now comes the messy part, place newspaper on the table and the floor, this is going to get real sticky! I wrap the balloon with the whole ball of string, squeezing some of the liquid down the string as I go. I take the ball of string out of the bag and place it in the bowl, stand on a chair and wrap the balloon until the whole ball is wrapped around the balloon. I then place newspaper down where I'm going to set the eggs to dry, this will take 3-4 days. I then place the balloon lightly in the top of a drinking glass (fat side of the balloon in the glass first), so it retains it's shape and as it dries I turn it around and upside down. After 3-4 days I remove it from the glass. You will find that the balloon inside will shrink, just pop it slowly and remove it. You can then draw the shape you wish to cut out on the egg with a marker and cut it out. Hope this helps! I just love to make these! Enjoy.

There are directions for this craft under Lacy Easter Eggs on Thrifty fun. The article has pictures also.

I made these many years ago with sugar water. I wouldn't recommend it. The first year it went great - the next brought 100 bazillion ants. I was looking on here to see if anyone uses starch and I see they do. I will do that. But yes, get yellow, pink, or whatever color crochet thread from a craft store and blow up a balloon to whatever size you want it and start wrapping, criss crossing the thread in every direction (it will look like one of those old string designs people used to make) until you use all the ball, or until you get tired and decide that's the perfect amount. Dip it all in starch - not sugar water (LOL) - and sit it in the bathtub to dry over a pan or whatever. Then when it's dry pop the balloon with a pin and pull it out. Figure out how you want to set the thing on a table as a candy dish and squish the bottom down flat so it sits. Cut out an oval on front. Put glue around the edges you've just cut, and glue on lace and bows if you want. Put Easter grass inside and fill with candy. It's really kind of fun to do with or for kids and looks very pretty.

Making Yarn Easter Eggs
Making Yarn Easter Eggs
Crafts Easter DecorationsMarch 4, 2009
Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece Ideas
Little boy in a brown bunny costume.
Making an Easter Rabbit Costume
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye