Caring for and Propagating a Willow Tree

I can't grow anything (I train horses), but this willow showed up in my pasture and I have several questions:

1. Is it suppose to have so many trunks to it?
  2. How and when do I prune it?
  3. If I want to cut thin branches off it and plant it in order to have more trees, do I strip the leaves off the branch before placing it in the ground?
  4. Does anyone know what kind of a willow this is? I don't think it is a weeping one, is it?

Any other tips you can give would be appreciated. I would like to have several in my pastures for shade trees for my horses.
Thanks so much.

By Annie from TX

The problem with several trunks is weakness. As it grows, and gets heavy, and pushes outward...they can lean over and break. I'd trim some out. Slowly. 1 or 2 at a time. Look at the tree from all angles. wait a couple days, or until next year and trim a bit more.

My mother rooted new Willow trees from the new growth, and she rooted the branches in water. In the spring, take green wood, new growth, and put it in water. Roots grow quickly. Willows grow very quickly, they are great water absorbers. Plant them where you want water soaked up. Good luck. And don't worry, trees are forgiving when it comes to pruning. Just work slowly, study the form, and take your time. Where you trim, often new growth will sprout out near the wound/cut. If you don't want a branch there, break it off as they sprout.

Looks like either a laurel leaf or golden willow. If the branches are golden coloured, it's a golden willow, If not, it's probably a laurel leaf willow. They are supposed to have lots of branches and are used as wind break hedges. We always cut ours back 2/3 to encourage more branches and a denser wind break. They don't have to be pruned, we just let them grow after they got thick enough by the 2/3 pruning method. We would always trim off the dead branches in the spring to keep the tree healthy. They grow very quickly and are a beautiful tree. They require lots of water, so don't ever plant them close to buildings, as they will grow right through the foundation and the sewer pipes seeking moisture.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesMay 18, 2010
Pussy Willow Plant
Starting a Pussy Willow Plant from a Branch
Wine grapes growing.
Propagating Grape Vines from Cuttings
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Propagating Hydrangeas
Propagating Hydrangeas
🎄