Trouble With Self Tanning Products

The first time I use self tanner each summer it works great. If I exfoliate before the second use, I don't get a tan, apparently because the tanner doesn't have anything to react with! If I don't exfoliate before the second use, I end up with a streaky mess. My skin is very normal and average. Do any of you have experience that might help me? Thanks!!

Buzz from Cloudy, USA

A friend of mine adds a little moisterizer with her self tanner. It seems to help it go on easier and with out all the streaks. Hope it helps.

You HAVE to ex foliate before EACH & EVERY tanning application! That means every single time! But here's something that might help you. Take a lemon & cut it in half & rub this up & down on your streaks. The lemon will blend the 2 tanning lines together or remove any streaks. Rubbing Alcohol also helps remove self tanning products. Also, before you start & after you've ex foliated, put moisturizer ONLY on your knees & elbows. Not anywhere else, or the tanner might not work properly.

---> One more important thing: When you ex foliate, use ONLY plain SUGAR & not any of those sugars or salts that are mixed with oil. The oil will stop the tanners from working properly. Just take a plastic cup of sugar into the shower with you & use your hand to scrub the sugar back & forth on a damp body that isn't to soapy. The sugar is cheep & works better than anything else!

* I quit using the self tanners because they left dye on my white clothes (from perspiring) & they aren't worth the hassle & upkeep, as you have to TOTALLY take the old tan off each & every time! The only thing they are good for is a high school reunion! Or ONLY on your legs!

You could try using a gradual self-tanner/moisturizer like Dove or Jergens. It will take a little longer, but it streaks a lot less and I find it easier to use.

RE: Trouble With Self Tanning Products

I have been using uv free tanning for quite a few years now as I have very pale and hard to tan skin. I do exfoliate for the first application, for the second one I don't, before the third I gently exfoliate again and rotate this process usually exfoliating once every week and a half. Every three weeks I do an intense exfoliation scrub...if you can go into a jacuzzi or hot bath for two days in a row before you do the third week exfoliation it is much more effective. I exfoliate my face gently every other day regardless of when I am spraying...if you don't you'll eventually end up with self tanning blotches all over your face...hideous!...plus you'll get blackheads because your pores soak up the color...exfoliate your face often, but remember be gentle with your face...I don't like to use moisturizer on my face right before it is prayed, sometimes it makes it less even. Also, I use a fine mist instead of a lotion because it goes on more evenly. To make it more even than just using the mist, have someone else spray you. Do your face, hands, and feet last and after you're dry wash your hands with soap (not rinse)concentrating on your fingers and thumb. For you feet just rinse them up to the very very beginning of your ankle. Where you spray and what temperature your body is at the time is also important. If you're warmed up too much it can cause build up on any creases where you skin bends so make sure youre in a very cool environment for 20 minutes before, it doesn't have to be freezing, just cool. Make sure there is no breeze when you spray and use a towel to stand on. I believe you should have one coat sprayed on the front, turn around spray the other side, and do a second coat on each side again. If you can catch some rays inbetween, it'll be less streaky too WARNING: self tanner does NOT protect your skin from the sun........I suggest that you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS for sure for sure put it on your face before you go lay out otherwise you'll ruin your face for life and look old and wrinkly before your time. I promise you it is true...not even once go tan without covering your face with protection (I use sunblock, sunglasses and a baseball hat) I am 39 yrs old and I look really young, but before when I had tanned my face, I started looking old and kind of wrinkly- that is why I stopped and thank goodness it was in time to not have ruined my face. Anyway, I love being tan on my body and face, the self tanner is a great thing! I like tan lines so I wear a bathing suit when I spray hahahaha! Have fun you guys.

In the picture, the color that I have is almost all just self tanner...and yes that is my surfboard

Blondee - You look fabulous! Your instructions sound very sensible - I can't wait to try them! Buzz

I like the Ocean Potion Ever Glow. If you are careful to work it in good you shouldn't have streaks. I use this along with their other products. They have really nice ingredients and smell good too. I also tan at the beach but am careful to use there products to keep my skin moisturized and don't overdo it. I am 51 and love that tan look. You can buy there products online or at Walmart or some drugstores.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care TanningJune 10, 2008
Woman tanning next to a pool.
Homemade Tanning Oil Recipes
A girl looking in the mirror and using a medicated pad to treat acne.
Preventing Acne Scars
Man Greeting the Dawn
Building Self Confidence and Self Esteem
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
🎄