Protecting a Tattoo When Tanning

Category Tanning
Tattoo on Woman's Back
Sunscreen and moisturizer are important to apply to any tattooed area that may be exposed while you are tanning. This is a guide about protecting a tattoo when tanning.

I recently got my first tattoo about two weeks ago. I really want to get back in the tanning bed; is it too soon? If not what do I put on the tattoo?

By Jamie from Winchester, KY

Answers

Best Answer

I would just use a high SPF sunscreen and coat it very well. It will definitely fade if you don't take care of it. Recoloring hurts as much and costs as much as the original. I have a large tattoo on my shoulder and I always slather the sunscreen on it all summer long. It is usually pale around it but I want to keep it beautiful and vibrant for as long as possible.

Good luck

Best Answer

I work at a tanning salon and we sell tattoo sticks--most tanning salons probably have something similar. They almost look like a tiny deodorant stick and are spf 50 made by Australian Gold. I also will use a chapstick with at least SPF 30 on mine, or cover it with a towel. My tattoo is small so the chapstick is perfect for me. Many of the JWOWW lotions also have what's called "ink drink" in them, so they're meant for people with tattoos and smell pretty good too--perfect if you have multiple tattoos or large tattoos.

Best Answer

I use zinc oxide on my tattoos. It's thick and white, like you would use on your nose. My tattoos are over 10 years old and still look pretty bright, but some of the colors have faded more than others. I don't tan more than regular exposure to the sun. Tanning beds probably fade them faster.

I am looking for a tanning lotion to put on my tattoo to keep it from fading when tanning outside and in the tanning bed.

Kelly

Answers:

Chapstick

If you feel you need to protect your tattoo from the sun and tanning bed the Chapstick with sunscreen sounds like the best idea. But as one who had her one and only tattoo done on 02/20/1980 (which has never been subjected to the sun or a tanning bed) your tattoo is going to fade in a fairly short period of time no matter what. Trying the Chapstick might lessen the time between ink touch-ups.

By Deeli

Good Sunscreen

A good sunscreen. No exceptions! Cheap isn't the way to go when you are protecting a tat. Tats aren't cheap, so why wouldn't you be willing to spend say, $10 on a bottle of good sunscreen to protect them?

By Shelly

Zinc Oxide

A former lifeguard with 8 tattoos suggests zinc oxide, or SPF 50+. Desitin will work, but it will get sandy if at the beach, and it stinks. Sunblock sticks (rather than lotions or sprays) tend to work great. I personally like NO-AD, it is $10 for a huge bottle.

By garbage3mail

Miami Ink Lotions

Miami Ink makes lotions that work very well! (02/04/2009)

By Emily

I have just started tanning (indoor) and have a tattoo that is bright and I don't want it to fade. Does anyone know of any way to protect it? Also, I am looking for a cheap alternative to tanning lotion.

Thanks,
Nailfanatic from Poteau, OK

Answers:

Desitin

I would think something like Desitin would work. It's that thick white creamy diaper rash ointment and I'm pretty sure it's the "white stuff" lifeguards use on their noses. It's mostly, if not all, zinc oxide. It would be easy to control where you put it and you could just wipe it off when you're done tanning.

By farap

Ocean Potion

I don't know about the tattoo but, I just purchased some lotion at Walmart for $5.00 and it's working great, and cheaper than the tanning salons. It's called Ocean Potion for extreme tanning and has instant bronzer in it and it's for indoor tanning or outdoor. Hope this helps! (03/30/2006)

By smathis123

Chapstick

I ran into the same problem, and I was told to use chap stick with sunscreen in it. I always put it on my lips before tanning anyways, so you just put it over your tattoo when you do the lotion. I tan regularly and my tattoo is 4 years old, still looks brand new!

Sunscreen With Zinc Oxide

Purchase sunscreen with zinc oxide, and cover the tattoo area thoroughly. Don't skimp on the sunscreen you use to cover your tattoo. Make sure it is strong and of good quality. Protect your investment!

By Ree 127