Protecting a Tattoo When Tanning

I recently got my first tattoo about two weeks ago. I really want to get back in the tanning bed; is it too soon? If not what do I put on the tattoo?

By Jamie from Winchester, KY

Best Answer

I would just use a high SPF sunscreen and coat it very well. It will definitely fade if you don't take care of it. Recoloring hurts as much and costs as much as the original. I have a large tattoo on my shoulder and I always slather the sunscreen on it all summer long. It is usually pale around it but I want to keep it beautiful and vibrant for as long as possible.

Good luck

Best Answer

I work at a tanning salon and we sell tattoo sticks--most tanning salons probably have something similar. They almost look like a tiny deodorant stick and are spf 50 made by Australian Gold. I also will use a chapstick with at least SPF 30 on mine, or cover it with a towel.

My tattoo is small so the chapstick is perfect for me. Many of the JWOWW lotions also have what's called "ink drink" in them, so they're meant for people with tattoos and smell pretty good too--perfect if you have multiple tattoos or large tattoos.

Best Answer

I use zinc oxide on my tattoos. It's thick and white, like you would use on your nose. My tattoos are over 10 years old and still look pretty bright, but some of the colors have faded more than others. I don't tan more than regular exposure to the sun. Tanning beds probably fade them faster.

Why do you a protective material. Reason I ask is what do people who have tattoos and go to the beach for sun bathing use?

Or the folks who have tattoos and work outside use? Just curious.

Anonymous

Ask the person who did the tattoo if it's too soon to tan. In my personal opinion the beauty of a tattoo is in it's natural aging/fading. It gives them character but if you're really worried about it fading just put a little sunscreen over it. :-)

Stay away from tanning salons and tanning beds. That should take care of the problem. They are seriously dangerous!

I agree with Dusty, stay away from them all together. If you want a tan go buy a good tan from a bottle. You will regret the tanning later in life. It will give you wrinkles beyond belief not to mention skin cancer. I know that if you are young, you think you are invincible but it will catch up with you.

Anonymous

I have psoriasis and it helps my flares tremendously. I never tanned before, but now I do to treat it.

To me the risks are just like risks from taking other medications.

I talk to a doctor he said u can tan to help breaks out also skin rashes but the key is not to stay in to long also can't do it every day.

I have to tan in order to keep my psoriasis at bay, and I have tattoos. I have no way of getting around this issue unfortunately, because I cannot afford the medical uv treatment.

Tanning is not good for you, and will damage your skin. (Farrah Faucet had terrible, wrinkled, leathery looking skin from sun-damage by the time she was 50...) But that choice is yours and if you want to tan, your tattoo should be covered with a sunscreen product that is SPF 30.

That is what was recommended to me when going to beach a week after getting a small tattoo on my back. Though I always wear sunscreen anyway.

I might be a paranoid Aussie (we have world's highest skin cancer rate) but please tell me you know that tanning beds are even worse than the sun for the content of UV rays the pump over you? I know that tans look better, but please please realize that the reason it mutates and fades tattoos is that it is mutating and damaging your skin cells. please get any moles or skin changes checked and look into the horrifying research about tanning beds. I have several friends who have had skin cancer in their mid twenties!

Well, to actually answer your question with something helpful, because I don't think you asked for a lecture about UV exposure, I have a lot of ink, and I tan a lot and find the stick is the easiest, and for some I place the towel over it. They just came out with a tanning bed lotion that actually protects your tattoos called Hellbent by Australian Gold. I haven't tried it yet, but it has 10 bronzers and protects tats.

:)

Anonymous

I go to the tanning bed once a week and I use Jwoww one and done white bronzer with ink drink. It has been doing really great. I also on a daily basic I lotion my tats up too. When outside I use a high spf 70 and if I am just sitting out in a tank top I will put a towel over them.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care TanningFebruary 23, 2011
📓
🎂
🌻