Painting Aluminum Siding

My husband and I have an older home which has part aluminum siding that is in pretty good condition. I am wondering if it is a good idea to have it painted or should we try and save up and have it sided with vinyl siding? In the end, we could save a lot of money by having it painted instead of resided but I am curious what your thoughts are about painting aluminum siding. Hope to hear from you all soon!

Mandi from Erie

I am about to repaint old aluminum siding. What should I use and what kind of paint would give me the best results? Would TSP be useful?

cdhill

We painted aluminum siding app. 10 to 12 years ago and it has done well. We used a power sprayer to clean it first and bought a good exterior latex paint from Sears. One coat is all it took. It was originally dark brown and we painted it beige.We recently had it replaced with vinyl siding because it had begun to fade and needed repainting. Good Luck

We also had alum. siding, the old Sears brand from the 60s I think. We got a quote for it to be painted and it was about $5,000. That included cleaning, priming, and painting. It did not include paint. So, we ended up opting to replace the siding with new seamless steel siding. Its looks wonderful now!! The steel has a life time warranty, along with a transferable lifetime warranty, if we sold the house 20 years from now even! The cost was about $11,000 to do the steel siding. Its Maintenance free for life pretty much! Good Luck!!

My 30 yr old aluminum siding was white and chaulky looking.. About 5 yr ago we painted it ourselves.. using a paint spayer and rollers.. It came out beautifully. Its lustrous just like I wanted for the shady area where I live.. Its the color of sunshine.. I highly reommend painting it.. The paint was Lowe's best paint... American Traditions. I used the advice of The Paint Doctor at Lowes. (Its free..smile) The paint cost me $300... Best of luck

Yes,you can paint aluminum siding.Prep prior tp painting is very important.All mold.mildew and chalking has to be removed.The best cleaning solution is TSP.4ozs. per gallon of water.if very dirty use 8 ozs.per gallon.if mold or mildew use 4 cups of bleach per gallon of water.You can visit your local paint store and get the proper paint to use.They sell this stuff all the time to professional painters or you can visit www.masterhandyman.com and type in painting aluminum siding in the search area.A couple of sites will come up with directions for painting aluminum.

Painted our aluminum siding two times now,(house is 36 yrs old) looks grt. Never a single crack or peal. Did clean, myself, with a bleach spray,(one cup to two gal of water) two weeks, before painting. Used "Sears Weather Beater latex" first time & "Glidden Dulux Latex" this last time. I feel "Glliden" is best of the two due to goes on much easier,looks GREAT.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingFebruary 7, 2006
Man Cleaning Wood Siding
Cleaning Wood Siding
Cleaning Vinyl Siding, A woman scrubbing the siding of her house.
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Row of holiday trailers in a park.
Cleaning Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
🎄