Browsing: Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes

Blackberry bushes can grow very quickly in spring and summer and are very invasive. Even though the berries are edible and tasty, the bushes are very difficult to get rid of. This is a guide about getting rid of blackberry bushes.

Photo of blackberries on the vine.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 28, 2013 Flag

We are constantly battling blackberries in our yard. For under $5 my husband was able to put together a set of gloves that allows him to pull the blackberries out, roots and all, without being cut to shreds!

• 1 pair nitrile coated gloves
  • 1 pair cotton gloves
  • 1 pair heavy leather work gloves
gloves on table

Related Products:

1. Put on the nitrile coated gloves.
  2. nitrile coated glove
  3. Now put on the cotton gloves.
  4. cotton glove
  5. Finally, add the leather gloves. Now you are ready to tackle those blackberries.
  6. leather glove

June 29, 2013 Flag

Tackling blackberries is a pain in more than one way. With the proper clothing and equipment, you can pull blackberries without injury.

• 1 set Blackberry Pulling Gloves
  • long pants, preferrably 2 layers
  • long sleeves, preferrably 2 layers
  • rubber boots
  • loppers, if necessary

Related Products:

1. Wear long sleeves. A denim shirt or jacket is best. Otherwise a sweatshirt with another shirt underneath may work.
  2. long sleeves
  3. Wear long pants, such as jeans. If you have a pair of long underwear, those work as a good under layer.
  4. Wear rubber boots, with your pants tucked inside. The thickest blackberries will be about shin height.
  5. long pants and boots
  6. Assemble a set of blackberry pulling gloves.
  7. blackberry pulling gloves
  8. Now you are ready to tackle those blackberries and WIN! :)
  9. tackling blackberries 1tackling blackberries 2tackling blackberries 3
  10. NOTE: If possible, pull the blackberries out with the roots. You can use loppers to cut off the tall stuff for better access, if necessary.
  11. get the roots

November 22, 2004 Flag

I'm from Oregon and we have thousands and thousands of blackberry bushes. However the ones that keep coming up year after year are threatening to take over my yard and my sanity...

Does anyone know of a homemade (preferably) or even a store-bought cure for these? I am on a limited income and not in the best of health, so paying a professional is out of the question along with digging them out (which was tried several times over the years). Please help..and thank you in advance!

Anna Moon

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have 2.5 acres 30% of which is covered in blackberry vines. I've started to tackle a large cluster that has over grown my sceptic drainfield. Using just a rake and a pair of long handled pruners, I've made a good size dent withing 30 minutes of demolition. Going for their roots and treating them with vinegar and salt water does the trick.

If you know, or if you have a friend that knows someone that is a lineman for a power company. They have a weed and small trees killer that kills about anything they spray it on. Right at the time the fall of the year starts to come in, take an oil base spray paint and spray some paint everywhere you see where they are coming out of the grown. Wait until the follow spring when things start to turn green, and spray the shit out of the area that you marked with the paint. That weed killer the lineman use will kill those blackberry briars. about a month after you have sprayed them, have some to lightly till that area and burn it around the end of February 1st of March. You will never see them again. Have another light tilling done again in the spring and plant the area with grass seed. That was the only way I got rid of those sumbitches. They are hard to kill, but that stuff the power company uses will kill them, and everything else that was growing where you sprayed.

Cut them and pour salt on them. Make sure you never want to grow in that area again though.

I have a friend in the U.S who says something called Cross Bow works really well and is easy to use

March 19, 2011 Flag

I don't believe in herbicides, they kill far more life than those intended. So, confronted with a backyard threatened to be comsumed, and deciding to limit the destruction.

April 25, 2015 Flag

When the young blackberries begin to grow up out of the 10 inch wood chip mulch, how do I till it without disturbing the mulch pile? Do I need to just redo the whole thing every time I spot some green?

Hello!

Blackberries are pruned in the winter by cutting to the ground all the branches that have born fruits and keeping only 5 or 6 new branches. These new branches should be pruned to less than 2 meters (the longest the branches will grow the less fruits they will bear). These new branches are the sprouts you are talking about. Let them grow to a lenght that will help you select the 5 or 6 strongest. Cut the weakest ones to the ground.This sprouts will the new branches for the next season.

Hope this helps!

Catherine

April 6, 2013 Flag

Most of the posts I've read for killing wild blackberry vines were from folks in the NW part of the country. My problem is I live in NW Florida and these things aren't working. I've tried some of the products from DIY stores and some of the ways that were posted on line. I loved the homemade ideas as I have 4 dogs. And yet, still they grow!
We bought an older home that sat uncared for and then empty for 4 years. Our lot is just over an acre and most of it is covered with the vine. Any advise on how to kill this stuff without killing what bit of grass and plants I do have?

By Keli

I live in the Central Midwest and I use this to kill poison ivy and oak, which is terribly invasive. Mix 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1 cup of cheap salt and 2 cups of Dawn dish soap and spray using a garden sprayer. You might have to cut the vines so the mixture will soak into the stem. But I have found with oak and ivy vines that are hundreds of years old getting the leaves covered will usually do the trick. You will have to reapply several times but it better than chemicals. The soap will make the mixture cling to the plant and the vinegar will burn it and the salt will dry it out. GOOD LUCK!

Goats love blackberry bushes.

July 11, 2013 Flag

We are constantly battling blackberries in our yard. For under $5 my husband was able to put together a set of gloves that allows him to pull the blackberries out, roots and all, without being cut to shreds! View the full project here: Homemade Blackberry Pulling Gloves

July 11, 2013 Flag

April 28, 2013 Flag

Who sells vinegar/salt killer?

By Elaine

You can mix your own vinegar/salt weed killer. Mix one gallon of white vinegar with one cup of salt and two tablespoons of liquid dish detergent. Shake/stir well, to dissolve the salt. Spray this on the plant/plants that you want to kill. It works best when the temperature is quite warm. Don't get the mixture on plants, that you don't want to kill! Buy the cheapest vinegar that you can find too!

February 1, 2012 Flag

I just moved into my property and the back garden is full of blackberry bushes. How can I kill the roots permanently?

By Annette from the UK

I moved to north east Scotland in 2010 and have spent the last two years trying to get all the blackberry canes out of my front garden where I don't want any kind of berries growing. I love brambles and have a patch in the back garden, but the front is for kerb appeal! So the minute I see a cane waving at me, I trace it to the ground and dig it out trying very hard to get every last bit of root.

I'm an American expat so I am still learning about gardening here in the UK, but I'm sure there is an herbicide I could spray to kill off the lot. However, there are other plants in that spot that I do want to encourage, so I hand dig the canes.

You might try asking at one of the garden centres what they recommend for killing off a large growth. Otherwise, the only way to get rid of this is by hand digging, and then staying on it every time you see a new cane. (Handy hint-wear stout gloves!)

It will take you a while to hand dig them all out, and even then you'll have to be vigilant because the birds will bring you pressies, lol, and you'll find you have volunteers of all sorts of thing:) Too bad they won't drop me off any raspberries, darn it-I had to buy those to plant in the back garden!

March 12, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to kill off wild blackberry vines? I'm getting overrun. This bush is growing out of a tree stump that we can't get to.

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Woody and Vining WeedsJuly 11, 2011
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
Red Briers
Getting Rid of Briers
Picking Blackberries
Killing Weeds in a Blackberry Patch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 2:16:05 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.