Save and Freeze Cooking Water

When blanching veggies for the freezer, save the water in which they are boiled and freeze it for use in soups, stews, and gravies. If you want only small amounts, such as for gravy, freeze it in ice cube trays and when frozen, remove and toss into plastic bags. Because I bake all our own bread and buns, I use it in those as well, adding extra nutrition.

By Preserver from Winnipeg MB

Hello preserver, I think this an excellent idea unless the veggies are coated with pesticides/herbicides/and fungicides-I love to drink the cookin' water from steaming or boiling veggies but, I don't know how many "cides" I'm drinking. I am totally for home grown and buying organic but, money is a factor. Good idea though if you can do organic. Pamela.

I do the same thing. Sometimes, when my garden is in full production, I'll use the same water to blanch several things before freezing it, giving it much more flavor. I also use it when making pancakes and waffles, adding powdered milk to it. It's also a great base for smoothies and works for cooking rice dishes, beans, etc.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 9, 2009
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Freezing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
🎄