Budgie Has Stopped Talking and Beak Has Changed Color

While I was away, for 6 weeks, my male budgie stayed with a friend whom he knows and who loves him. He was molting and it was suggested to my friend that she sprinkle a few drops of flax seed oil in his seeds about 2 times per week.

Before I took him home, yesterday, my friend told me that he has almost stopped singing and talking. This began about 3-4 weeks ago, she thinks.

His "nose" has changed color to 2-tone colors of bright blue by his nose air vents and the rest is now an off-white color and almost appears (this could be my imagination) to be a little swollen or protruding.

Is any of this normal? He's 3 1/2 years old.

By Gerry from Las Vegas, NV

I'm sorry to say I don't know about birds, but I'm thinking that you should get your little friend into the vet. Since it's a combination of both appearance and behavior, it sounds like it could be serious.

Best of luck . . . I hope your bird is feeling better soon!

Ditto with mrs.story!

First, your little budgie is a male. The part of his 'nose' that turned blue is called the cere.. If it is blue, violet or shades of, this maens he is a male. If the cere is beige, brown or sort of fleshie colored, it is a female. The rest of the beak is called a mandible. Upper and lower. Different species of birds have different color mandibles. The main thing you shound watch for is changes in his 'poop'. If it's runny or odd color, check with your vet. Your birdie may have stopped talking because he missed you. Give him a little time to adjust to being 'home'.. If you're still not comfortable, check with an AVAIN (bird) vet. I hope this helps. Diane www.LaziBirds.com

Understanding Parakeet Behavior
Pets BirdsDecember 11, 2009
blue and white budgie
Budgie Keeps Laying Eggs
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle Information and Photos
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Parakeet/Budgie Photos