Ginger Beer

Refreshing drink that just goes on and on! Great recipe for sharing:-)

• 3 oz baker's yeast
  • 2 teacups cold water
  • Ad
  • 2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 tsp. sugar

Directions:

Put the following ingredients in a jar. Feed daily with 1 level teaspoon sugar + 1 level teaspoon ginger for 7 days. Then strain liquid through a fine muslin. Dissolve 3/4 lb sugar in 1 pint boiling water. Add 3.5 pints cold water and add strained liquid. Add juice of 2 lemons.

Bottle in screw top bottles to within 2 cm of top. Leave 2 - 3 weeks before using.

Scrape residue of plant into jar. Add 3/4 pint of cold water and mix well. Divide into 2; add sugar and ginger as before.

Note: Plant (fermentation) MUST be divided (halved) each week or it will die!

Source: Got a 'plant' from someone years ago.

By Skinnyjinny from Scotland

I'm sorry, I may be a little slow but what is N.B. Plant? You lost me after the bottling. Can you explain? Thank you.

I didn't put in the NB Plant at the top (Thriftyfun must have re-arranged my recipe?)! The NB I had in later was just "nota bene" as in 'note well'

The plant is what you make from the list of ingredients and is the base for the drink.

At the top of the recipe it should read Plant followed by ingredients. Hope this clears it up!

<b> Editor's Note: </b> Thanks for the clarification. The N.B. has been removed.

Thank you, I'm looking forward in trying this.

Making Ginger Beer
Making Ginger Beer
Food and Recipes Recipes BeveragesJune 5, 2009
Uses for Beer
Uses for Beer
Glass of stout with hops scattered in foreground and keg in backgroung.
Storing Beer
vintage beer can
Collecting Beer Cans
beer bread
Recipes Using Beer
🎄
🍂