CommunityBetter Living

Alternative Funeral Gift to Flowers

What can I send someone whose wife has just passed after a long battle with cancer? I'm sure he has been inundated with flowers and I'd like to send something different.

Thanks.

When my dad passed, the nicest things we received were cards with memories about him. That meant (and still means) more to me than anything else. The other thing that meant a lot to me was a peace Lilly plant. I have kept it going all these years!!

Sending prayers and condolences to your friend!

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes I like the idea of something more enduring....perhaps a small tree even?

A donation to cancer care or any other charity

That one I shall definitely do. Thanks!

a great thing for a widower, especially if his wife was the 'home economics expert' in the household (though probalby not during her illness) is something that would make his material life easier

if you have the budget, maybe hire a housekeeper for him for a day or volunteer to help clean his house

organize a food sharing thing where you bring him food and others bring him food every day for a month

gift certificates to restaurants, supermarkets, etc, anything that makes his material life better

for some people a bottle of nice Scotch or wine is an appropriate gift

That's a great idea! Thanks

A food gift basket is a thoughtful sympathy gift. Books are also an alternative to flowers. Depending on how well you know the person the book could be a novel, a book on dealing with grief, a cookbook or a book on a subject you know they're interested in.

A journal could be helpful to them as they go through the grieving process.

The book idea is a good suggestion....Thanks!

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. After much consideration I decided to gift the family a memorial myrtle tree to plant in their garden. It's an all year round tree with white flowers and delicious edible berries.

A tree is a lovely memorial! I am sure the family will find comfort in the tree and their memories. What a thoughtful friend you are!! Blessings to all!!