Baked Egg in a Tomato
With tomatoes in abundance in my garden (Lemon Boy here) I am looking for ways to prepare them. This is perfect for a hot day. You can prepare as many or as few as you want. The recipe is for one tomato.
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 27 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Yield: 1 tomato
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp approximately olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cheese, shredded
- 1/8 tsp basil, or thyme, dried (leaves)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish if desired
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with tinfoil lightly coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
- Slice the top off your tomatoes, on the stem side.
- Use a small spoon to scrape out the core, seeds and pulp. Arrange on your prepared baking sheet.
- Put oil all over the inside and outside of each tomato, and season with salt and pepper, basil or thyme and garlic powder.
- Bake tomatoes for 15 minutes. Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of the tomato.
- Crack an egg and gently slide it into each tomato.
- Sprinkle more salt and pepper and the rest of the cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake until eggs are set, 8 to 11 more minutes. Garnish with the scallions, if desired. Serve immediately.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!