Burnt Smell in a House

I burnt a sweet potato in the microwave. The microwave is fine, but a huge cloud of smoke came out. I opened windows, put the exhaust fans on and got the smoke out, but the smell is lingering in the wood cabinets and wallpaper. What can I use to get rid of the smell?

By Mrs. Mom from Jersey

Answers:

fresh air

The smell is really lingering in the porous materials in your house. A weird suggestion that a buddy did when his old basement-to house fan caught on fire was to vacuum the walls. He said it did help. Of course washing these materials with their proper cleaning products is a good idea. So varnish for the wood and a mild soap for the wall. But keep the place well ventilated for a while is key to letting those scents scoot outside. Hope this helps. (05/07/2010)

By wishsparkle

Burnt Smell in a House

Wipe down with a vinegar/water/dish soap solution. Boil vinegar and water on the stove with lemon essential oil added (10 drops) The steam will carry and deodorize.
Set charcoal briquettes inside the corners of cupboards, and any other place odors need to be absorbed. (05/12/2010)

By Carly34

Burnt Smell in a House

What you should do is boil a small pot of vinegar, water and lemon juice on the stove for 20 minutes. This will leave a clean smell, then take it off and wash the microwave with it. Then get a big pot and boil vanilla and cinnamon in water for an hour. Stir occasionally so the cinnamon doesn't stick to the bottom. It should leave your kitchen smelling better. I did this once when I had burnt rice cereal and it cleared it up in about an hour. Good luck. (01/05/2011)

By hellokitty99