Removing Burnt Smell From a Microwave

February 7, 2011

Microwave popcorn being made.Alright, my name is Haily. I'm 15 years old. So just recently, tonight, I got hungry and I really wanted macaroni and cheese. So, my mom got those little mac'n'cheese cups that go in the microwave. Well, being as stupid as I am, I put the cup in the microwave, forgetting to put water in it. I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes like they say. And well, it completely like melted, and burned the noodles to a crisp.


I was home alone, so my parents didn't find out at first, so I opened the windows and doors and aired out the house. But I'm worried about getting the smell out of the microwave. We have one of those wall built in things, and my parents said that if I couldn't get the smell out of the microwave that I'm paying with my own money to get it fixed.

Now I'm looking for help. Not comments from people telling me that I'm irresponsible.
So, please, help?


By Haily from Pittsburgh, PA


Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 167 Feedbacks
October 19, 20102 found this helpful
Best Answer

My answer to everything: Oranges! Always keep some on hand for just such disasters as burning food in the kitchen. Cut an orange into fourths, and heat it in the microwave just until it's hot enough to give the oven an orangey smell, do not burn it, or you'll have two problems.


Cut two or three more oranges up, and lay them on plates elsewhere in the kitchen. The citrus odor will eventually overpower the burnt odor, and your sanity will be restored. :)

Reply Was this helpful? 2

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 337 Feedbacks
October 21, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

I think it eventually goes away on its own. The kids at school used to burn popcorn on a fairly regular basis -- and the microwaves didn't smell for too long.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 29, 20101 found this helpful
Best Answer

Are you certain that the microwave is safe to use after an internal fire? If so, here's a suggestion.

Leave a large (microwave safe) mixing bowl, with a couple of cups of white vinegar in the microwave overnight. (Door closed.) The next day, add some water and heat til the liquid boils. (Watch closely, you don't want to boil dry and start another fire.) Don't open the door and let it steep for 10 to 20 minutes. Once the liquid has cooled to warm, use a clean rag, dipping it into the water/vinegar mix and wringing it out, to wipe down the interior.


You may have to repeat the boil and cool routine.

If it smells better, but you notice the smokey smell returning after regular use, it's probable that there is more damage than you thought and the oven is damaged to the point of being a fire hazard. If this happens, unplug the microwave and discontinue use until it is professionally repaired or just replace it. It's not worth the electrical fire risk to keep using it as is.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
Answer this Question

19 More Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

May 16, 2011

I was making one of those noodle microwave dishes (the black tray ones), I opened it up and put the dried vegetables in the container and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. When there was a minute and something left, my kitchen was filled with smoke. I couldn't see inside microwave and the plastic tray melted. Now I have yellow staining and a nasty smell in my microwave. I also need help getting the gunk off the top of the microwave.

By Dedra


May 17, 20110 found this helpful
Best Answer

Yes, the Yakisoba ones call for 4 minutes in the microwave. However, I'm guessing the problem was the OP didn't put in the water.

The smell will go away over time, like how it does if you burn a bag of popcorn. I know you can put a mug of water in the oven, let it boil for a minute or so, then leave the microwave door shut for an hour or so. The warm steam will help loosen any other mess still left in the oven so you can scrape it off with a plastic spatula.


Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 108 Feedbacks
May 17, 20110 found this helpful
Best Answer

I have removed odors with white vinegar. Put 50% vinegar to 50% water in a glass bowl or measuring cup, large enough to allow it to boil, and let it come to a boil and leave it in there for a while and see if this will help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

March 12, 2012

My microwave smells and is stained after burning corn dogs. How do I clean it?

By Linda


March 29, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

Cut a lemon in half and squeeze into a bowl. Add the lemon halves to the bowl and microwave on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. This should leave a lemon scent in the microwave.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 31, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

To help with the smell I would suggest using the lemon as the other poster suggested but also baking soda. I placed baking soda on a plate about two cups worth spread out over the plate and left in microwave over night. The next day I re-cleaned, re-lemoned and placed a new plate with fresh baking soda and left it over night.


Took about five days of cleaning using lemon and baking soda to put a dent in the burnt popcorn smell. I had a brown stain that I never was able to get rid of fully.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

May 12, 2016

This is a page about removing yellow stains from inside a microwave. Burning food in your microwave can often leave unsightly yellow stains that are difficult to remove.

Hand cleaning inside of a microwave oven with a rag

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1


ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.

July 13, 2010

How do you get rid of a burnt smell in a microwave?

Comment Was this helpful? Yes
Load More
In These Pages
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJuly 6, 2017
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-11-02 11:56:38 in 5 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.