Caring for a Pregnant Dog

Category Health
If your dog is expecting, you can help by being knowledgeable about their condition, and what is best for them. This guide is about caring for a pregnant dog.

How many weeks does it take for a yorkie to have puppies?

Traci from Fairburn, GA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Usually 57-65 days. Good LUck!

When it comes to a pregnant Yorkie, please take her to the vet! I believe in thriftiness, but your dogs life is not a good area to economize. Please please PLEASE, avoid life threatening complications by taking your dog to the vet.

By cashman67 (Guest Post)

I always use 60 days as a guide. She will tell you when it's time if you watch her closely. Mine gets ansty and sometimes clingy on the day of delivery.

By Glenda (Guest Post)

63 days

From what I've seen on the Discovery channel, it's 63 days.

By (Guest Post)

it takes 63 days

By jonathan (Guest Post)

hi..

By prince (Guest Post)

It takes about 59-63 days. Anything before or after 59-63 the pups might be dead!

By jukie (Guest Post)

It takes anywhere from 59 to 65 days, but it's best if the puppies are born after about 62 days.

By mara (Guest Post)

My girl is 61 days and she hasn't been showing any signs of pregnancy. She hasn't been making a nest or showing any signs to the babies but I can feel and see the babies moving so they are alive.

Is she just not ready or not sure what to do? It's the first time for her to have babies.

By jmc (Guest Post)

What sign should I look for? When my dog is getting ready to have the puppies?

By ashley (Guest Post)

How can u tell if your dog is pregnant? My dog did it just today so I was wondering how to tell if she is. It is her first litter to so any help plz answer.

By Hannah (Guest Post)

I got my dog breed back in the middle of May or sometime. It is now August and she still hasn't had any puppies. But she is showing every sign that she showed before she had her puppies last time. For about a week she has had a milky substance on her tits and she has been nesting in the extra bedroom. And still no puppies...

By tina (Guest Post)

She is on day 65, now should I be worried?

By (Guest Post)

It takes about 2 months for a dog to have babies. Y will notice by the way it acts it will be fatter and it will like to rest a lot.

Remember to feed it more food for the babies can be nice and healthy.

By (Guest Post)

It depends on what type of dog you have the days can very by how many puppies they have, how old they are, and the breed of your dog and the father.

By Hannah (Guest Post)

Thanks for your help every one. My dog is pregnant. x :)

Actually a bitch will whelp 63 days after ovulation (not mating) +/- 4 days. Sperm is viable for a minimum of 48 hrs which can effect the gestation period. I have been breeding golden retrievers & german shepherds for a number of years.

My Dachshund is around 39 days pregnant, I meant to have her spayed, but waited too long and my husband accidentally let her out. My neighbor let me know that he saw her tied up with a Scottie. I am very concerned and nervous for her to have puppies. Do they usually have a hard time or do I need to do anything?

By Chasity from TN

I just adopted a Shih Tzu dog that is pregnant. I have never owned a dog before. I need to know how to take care of a pregnant dog.

bitter0408 from Malaysia

Answers

The dog usually knows what to do. We have a pair of Shitz Zu's we aboslutely love them. We got them from a family who had a doberman that was using the male as a chew toy.

If you just adopted the dog, you should take it to the vet for an exam. He can tell you about when her puppies will be born and what you should do if anything. Be sure to keep an eye on her as small dogs sometimes have problems in delivering.
Be sure to take her and the puppies back to the vet for a check up and shots. Possibly it would be a good idea to have her spayed.

How long should it take for a litter to be born? I have a mini Aussie. The first pup came at 5.35 am. nothing since. She is 12 lbs over normal weight.

By Sandi from Kendrick, ID

Will a pregnant Shihtzu like eating boiled eggs? How often can I give them to her?

By Joey from Philippines