AdviceGrade Schooler

Child Won't Go to School After Being Bullied

I have my daughter home from school today. She isn't sick, but can't go because she has a black eye, a very bruised arm, and sore ribs; she can hardly move. She got these injuries from school, she got pushed down the stairs by a 6th grader. Now she doesn't want to go back to school. I have talked to the school, but they aren't doing anything about it.


My son came home on Friday with a bleeding nose from the same person. I talked to the school again and they just said they will get on it.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened and it sure isn't the last. She isn't hurt badly because I have seen the doctor and she can go to school tomorrow, but how do I get her to go.

By mc4lifes from Sydney, NSW

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 10, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

I'd be afraid to go back to school if someone had pushed me down the stairs too! I would make sure the teacher knows what's going on - maybe you can get your daughter's schoolwork temporarily until the problem child is dealt with. If you have a school counselor talk to them to find out what they recommend for your daughter. You may be able to transfer schools.

Personally I would contact the police - that is assault. Having the police show up will make an impression on the bully (and their parents) that the school isn't going to be able to make.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20120 found this helpful

If the school will not take care of this problem then call the police. Your daughter wasn't bullied, she was physically assaulted and that is a crime.


In the meantime, you might want to consider home schooling, or changing schools.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20120 found this helpful

I would march down to that school and demand that they do something immediately. Keep hounding them until you see results. This has gone well beyond playground taunting and your child's physical safety is at risk. If this child is acting this way towards your kids, they're almost certainly doing it to others too. That kind of violence should be totally unacceptable in schools. In the meantime keep a diary of all incidents and take pictures of any injuries. Presenting the school with that kind of evidence will make it that much harder for them to ignore you. All the best to you and your children.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20120 found this helpful

As a retired teacher, I would advise calling the police. I don't know the situation where you are, but where I was taught, there wasn't much teachers were permitted to do. We could write a "referral" describing the situation, and at the risk of physical harm to ourselves--we could restrain a child, but technically, not defend ourselves.


Teachers had no say in what would happen to the attacker.

I agreed with Patty Lynn - call the police as this was a physical attack, but you need pictures of the injuries and witnesses--proof this is what happened. It may also be that the teachers will not be allowed to give evidence or dare not if they do not have tenure.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20120 found this helpful

Yes you need to press charges against the children who did this. Call or email the school district so you have proof of your conversation. You might also consider contacting the local media if you get no satisfaction. I can't say I blame the child, I wouldn't want to go to work if my coworkers beat me. My children wouldn't want to go either, homeschool might be in the table as an option. At any rate they need to know that as their parent you've "got their back". Press charges.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 6, 20120 found this helpful

I know that this may be bad advice, but when I had problem previously with my daughter being given a hard time at school, (she was pushed over) rang the parents of the child involved and explain what had happened and if it happened again I would be involving the police, it worked for me, but I was living in a small country town and I think the other parents were worried about people knowing what their daughter was capable of. If this isn't an option, please contact the police, this is not acceptable.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 12, 20120 found this helpful

You need to get the police involved. If you don't believe me, child welfare will assume you did it. The school needs to know you are serious. I am sure you worked this out by now, but still always have a paper trail when it has to do with abuse, or it will fall back on you as the one who did it. It won't look good in court if you didnt do anything. Also, consider home schooling. Consider also bringing a lawsuit against the school.


Blessings, Robyn

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Parenting Grade Schooler AdviceJune 3, 2012
Birthday Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by ThriftyFun.

Generated 2018/09/22 10:38:39 in 924 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!