Cleaning Dishes After a House Fire

Category Dishes
Soot and grime can be difficult to remove from dishware. This guide is about cleaning dishes after a house fire.

Soot from my gas stove has gotten all over my skillet. I've never had this problem before in the two years I've had a gas stove. When I put the pan in the dishwasher, the soot got all over the dishes. After running them through a second time, the soot is still there. How do I get it off - and how do I keep this from happening again? I've always had an electric stove before.

Arker from Ark.

Answers

Anonymous

before you use the pot or pan, put liquid dishsoap ont he bottom of it including when you camping folks.

I one had a purcolator for camping that was blackened the person that gave it to me didn't want it any more.

I took it camping and rubbed the dishsoap all over teh bottom and sides of it and when I went to wash it at the end of the camping trip. The old and the new soot came right off of it.

It works on wood stoves and gas too.

Try it!

EC

First.... A properly adjusted gas burner doesn't produce soot... If your burner is producing soot, it is also producing Carbon Monoxide.. Carbon Monoxide is a DEADLY SILENT KILLER... Get your gas company to come and check your burner today... PLEASE Don't let this continue....

Not sure this will work but try putting a couple of pieces of your dishes in the dishwasher and remove the rest. Add 1/2 c. household bleach to the bottom of the dishwasher and run it through. If that works you can wash the rest of the dishes that way. Another thing you can try is TANG the breakfast drink. Add 1/2 cup in the dishwaher and run that through the whole cycle. Good Luck

It could also mean your stove was not converted if you are using LP gas. The stove may have been used with natural gas, or if new, was not properly switched to LP.

Make sure your stove is properly set for LP use, if you are on LP.

If your pans are aluminum the bleach will turn them black. I turned a cookie sheet black with bleach. If they are stainless steal the dish soap works or spray with a little oven cleaner and rinse in the sink, will bring off all black stuff.

How do I get the smoke smell out of dinnerware after a house fire?

By Dana

Answers

After my husband and I had a fire in our apartment building, we used Kids 'N' Pets Stain and Odor Remover. It safely and effectively removed all of the smoke smell, even from my antique chenille bedspread. I've also used it on cat urine stains. It works wonders! I buy it at Walmart for around $5.

Clean with plain Vinger wash. Tell me about it.

We found some antique dishes in a trash pile. They have been in a fire and have thick black residue on them. I have soaked them in everything and scrubbed with the Magic Eraser, but I cannot get all of the black off. What else can I try?

By Sheri S.

I had a house fire and cleaned all my dishes with a Magic Eraser which did a great job of getting all the smoke off of them. I still find that there is an oily residue left on the dishes. What is the best solution for removing this?

By Sharon W.