Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I just built a new house. I have hardwood floors in the kitchen and dining room. I also have 4 Siberian Huskies. How do I clean their paw prints off my wood floor safely every day, without damaging my floor? A dry Swiffer does not work because sometimes their feet are a little wet and dirty and it dries on. I don't want to have to mop every other day.

By Terri Lynne from Hayden, ID

Answers:

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I just have a section in my dining room and I put a little Pledge on a washcloth and do the floor on my hands/knees.
You can also make sure your dogs' paws are clean when they come into the house. My German Shorthair stops at the kitchen door till you wipe her feet. That helps a lot. (07/06/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I have a cleaning service and I clean a lot of log cabins with hardwood floors. What I have found that works well and it doesn't harm the finish of the hardwood, is a dab of mild dish detergent mixed with water in a spray bottle. I spray it on the floors as I mop or clean them. (07/07/2010)

By mprince

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Buy a product called Bono. It is by far the best. (07/07/2010)

By kayrayriggs

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Buy a hardwood floor mop that comes with a microfiber covering.
Wet the cover, wring it out thoroughly, and damp mop the floor.
You will be surprised how much dirt the microfiber will remove with nothing more than water.
(07/07/2010)

By Southern Saver

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

You're probably going to have to damp-mop, but an easy way is to just put a wet, lightweight towel or cloth onto your Swiffer in place of the regular Swiffer sheet. I find this works well for light cleaning of my hardwood kitchen floor, and as long as it's not too wet it won't harm the finish at all. (07/08/2010)

By ChloeA

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

We are also in the process of putting in more hardwood, so don't have much of that surface, but even with one dog, I can't get around the frequent mopping. As a few other posters here already mentioned, I find a squirt of Dawn in lukewarm water on a barely-damp mop, so it dries quickly, works the best for us, and hasn't done damage to the finish on the flooring. (07/08/2010)

By PupperMom

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Can you get large floor mats at the entrance way to stop the dogs from tracking mud into the house in the first place? If you could get them to wait for a foot cleaning like T&T Grandma's dog, that would be the easiest solution to this problem. (07/17/2010)

By louel53