Cleaning Mold Stains on a Football Jersey

Category Mold
Mold can stain clothes if it is allowed to grow on them long enough. Here are some ideas about cleaning mold stains on a football jersey.

My son's football jersey got mold on it. I tried Shout and Tilex and it did not work. I can't use bleach, because I have hard water. Please help. I do not want him to use it for play. Thanks.

By Patti from Hornby, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Whether or not you can use bleach with hard water, depends on the amount of iron in the water. When I was young and had a small baby we moved to a town that had really bad water and the first time I went to launder a load of whites, I just automatically put bleach in the water, after putting the clothes in, and shut the lid. Imagine my surprise when the load was done and everything, including my husband's underwear, was a weird peachy color.

Fortunately for me, there was a woman in the state that did a morning talk show on the radio, about homemaking things and one of her sponsors was a product called Miracle White and how great it was for getting miscolored things white again. I walked to the store and got a bottle of it. It took a few washings with the product to get the color out. The clothes never got sparkling white, but they were usable.

Best Answer

My son's brand new white football jersey had mildew spots all over it. I didn't realize it was left in a bag. I tried everything, and what finally worked was Scrubbing Bubble Foaming Bleach bathroom cleaner.

I just sprayed and left on for a few minutes then rinsed with hot water and it came right out. I am so relieved!!!

My grandson left a very, very expensive football jersey in his car for so long it got mold spots all over it. I can't bleach it even though it's white because all the lettering is black. I've used Spray n Wash, scrubbed it in with a brush, poured the laundry detergent straight on it and scrubbed with a brush, soaked it in detergent and vinegar, all to no avail. Help. This shirt is way too expensive to get rid of. I'm going to try baking soda next. Do I need to take it to a cleaners? Could they even help anyway?

Kathie from SeaTac, WA

Answers:

Try OxiClean - that's what my dad always uses for really tough stains and it really works. The straight powder kind, not the stuff mixed with Spray and Wash. (11/19/2008)

By Mary

I would use Tilex, spray it on a toothbrush or small sponge and scrub, it will come right out, then rinse in lots of water. I swear by it and have used it on lots of things, it is the only stuff I have found that works. It is stronger than Clorox. (11/21/2008)

By Peggy

Even though the letters are black you can still bleach the jersey. (11/24/2008)

By Tami