Add to GuideAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Mold in a Basement

Category Mold
This is a guide about mold in my basement. If you have mold in your basement, it is important to get rid of it. Here is some information about how to clean up the mold and prevent it from coming back.


Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!

By 1 found this helpful
April 21, 2008

When my basement flooded, I had mold which made me sick. I used liquid Pool Chemicals in a field sprayer to wash everything in the basement. It killed the mold and washed right down. This was safe, didn't need any breathing equipment. I'm sure this can be used on our roofs here in the NW.

By Barb from Corvallis, Oregon

Comment Was this helpful? 1


By Deanj (Guest Post)
April 21, 20080 found this helpful
Top Comment

Bleach is what is usually used to kill mold but as you had used chlorine to kill mold it appears that product works as well. However, roofs usually have algae growing on them and bleach wont work and chlorine may not either.
I would be carefull using chlorine. If you mix it with common household products the result will be a toxic gas.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 2, 20170 found this helpful
Top Comment

Pool chlorine is used to kill and prevent algae in pools, so it should work.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

By 0 found this helpful
August 16, 2010

I would like to know how to get mold off basement walls?

By thorpe


August 16, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

Use a solution of 1 cup of bleach in a pail of water. Also use a scrub brush. Do not breathe in the fumes, make sure area is well ventilated or wear a mask to cover up your nose and mouth.


In the future to prevent the growth of mold in your basement use a dehumidifier.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...


ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.

August 16, 20100 found this helpful

There is mold in a basement room (under the front porch). What is the best way to get rid of it and to prevent it from coming back? Water gets in there when it rains!

Kim from Nashville, TN


Mold in My Basement

I think the story about the professional and the toy was the first joke on the internet.
However, use a mixture of bleach and water, one part bleach to 2 or 3 parts water. Spray on and then rinse when mold is gone. To prevent the return of the mold you have to stop the rain from getting under the porch by covering the openings. Wear eye protection. (10/09/2008)

By Harry

Mold in My Basement

I was told not to use bleach by a professional. He said it was alcohol and it would evaporate too quickly and in the end not do any good. He told me to use just plain soap and water. (10/22/2008)



Mold in My Basement

Hydrogen peroxide eats up the mold immediately. Cheap too. (11/30/2008)

By Glenda

Comment Was this helpful? Yes

October 9, 20080 found this helpful

Every time it rains my basement gets moderately wet. It smells musty but I'm afraid that mold is growing. How can I get rid of that? Any suggestions is appreciated.



Mold in My Basement

A professional inspected my house and said one side was covered with mold(fungus). He said it would cost $1,000.00 to remove it. Just then he saw an old toy in the corner and offered to buy it. Not wanting the thing(I'd forgotten all about it) I gave it to him. He was so happy he told me how professionals clean up mold and how to do it myself: put a cup of bleach in 2 gallons of water and spray it on the mold. He said wear 3 masks(the kind that cover your nose and mouth). He said do this once a year or whenever you see mold. Slit open some bags of kitty litter and place them around your basement, they will absorb moisture. Mold has to have moisture to survive. Our local dollar store sells 3 five pound bags of kitty litter in a bundle for $1.00. (08/14/2007)


By joan pecsek

Mold in My Basement

Bleach with water is the most effective way to get rid of mold. Wear eye protection when using bleach. After mold is removed and to help prevent it from returning, ventilate the cellar. If in a cold climate open cellar windows from April to October. (08/16/2007)


Mold in My Basement

We had that problem and it turned out to be the down pipe had been damaged and was blocked. Look around your house and check these pipes. Also check the guttering to make sure they are not damaged as water can run down the side of the house. You need to find out why your basement gets the water. (08/16/2007)

By Gwen Grosvenor

Mold in My Basement

I had a BAD mold problem in my classroom where I teach and could get no help, so I took matters in my own hands. After much research, I came across a product called Environmental Air Sponge (google it. Click on the first thing that comes up. The contractor's site is where I bought it). I did a mold sampling before and after and honestly, there was still mold but a lot less colonies. It did seem to help with the odor also, it has a light soapy smell.


I would set them out on Friday and by Monday the room would be tremendously better. Worth a shot!


By *Pat*

Mold in My Basement

Get a dehumidifier! Let it drain into a sink or floor drain if possible and keep it running. Use Dri-Lock paint on your cinder block walls (remove paneling?). Use a small A/C unit in your window well. I didn't use the dri-lock, but use a dehumidifier, fan, and small window a/c unit and my basement no longer has that problem. (08/16/2007)

By mary

Mold in My Basement

After reading the other postings, esp. re: water source for your humidity, I remembered that we packed clay around the perimeter of the house, sloping away. This has prevented any flooding and was extremely cheap, as it was just good ol' clay. It was done by a landscaper. (08/16/2007)

By mary

Mold in My Basement

Just had the same problem, a bag of lime at the home garden center opened up and put in a pillow case. It was supposed to be hung but I left mine on the floor opened and the nasty musty smell was gone in a few days. (08/20/2007)


By Sarah

Mold in My Basement

I had the same problem but the mold would go around my windows in the basement also I got rid of the mold with bleach. Then I put charcoal briquets around the cellar, in each window, anywhere there was a mold issue and it worked. Something in the charcoal drew in the dampness. I have been doing this now for about 5 years, the only problem is remembering to change the briquets. (I honestly have no clue how long they should be out there but I change them monthly). (08/20/2007)

By Lois

Mold in My Basement

A dehumidifier will help, but it is necessary to eradicate the mold that is present in the house. The reason is that use of the dehumidifier will prevent the mold growth from getting any worse, but it will not kill the mold and remove it. If in the future you have any moisture develop from a leak or if your dehumidifier turns off or breaks, this mold could become active within 24 hours.

More information about dehumidifier and mold can be found on (01/31/2008)

By ngyuming1981

Comment Was this helpful? Yes

August 14, 20070 found this helpful

My once mold-free basement now stinks with moldy smell. The dehumidifier hasn't stopped it. What can I do to clean it?

Comment Was this helpful? Yes
Related Content
Home and Garden Cleaning MoldDecember 12, 2017
Fourth of July Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/06/06 15:29:13 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!